1840-1940 Collecting

Is anyone on the forum collecting - 1840-1940 stamps? If so, how’s it going - pro, cons, etc. Thanks.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes. What country?
  • Worldwide 1840-1940 MNH for my Vintage Reproduction albums; slow going with the understanding that many spaces will remain as spaces due to financial constraints and/or availability.
    Worldwide 1840-1900 used, SON or unusual cancellations; much easier to fill spaces.
    Both collections are bringing me indescribable joy both in the hunt and in the filling of spaces. I've been known to giggle when an entire page gets filled in. I have plenty of active collections such as postal history and revenues that require a higher level of research and learning, but the above two collections take me back to my childhood start in our hobby where the filling in of spaces seemed paramount. That and the fact that the older issues portray the engravers' art keep me deeply involved.
    Only cons that come to mind are I won't live long enough and not having a bottomless wallet LOL!
  • Thanks George for your input. Scott, I’m referencing WW from 1840-1940 collecting and if by chance you haven’t seen the website “Big Blue” check it out - it’s “amazing” filled with fantastic information collecting stamps from the period 1840-1940.
  • Thanks Wayne. Will give it a look. If you have any questions about that period of US so let me know. That's my wheelhouse.
  • I don't collect, but sell mostly pre 1940, mostly Canada and Provinces. Not sure what you are asking, but I'm finding the selling end a bit low of late.
  • Hi Wayne,
    I'll try to answer your question on how it's going!

I'm an avid follower of Jim Jackson's Big Blue 1840-1940 blog, and started collecting the world again 6 years ago because of that blog. I've purchased many of the feeder album Big Blue's, and now mostly buy country collections and box lots at auctions. Then, sell my duplicates or anything that doesn't fit into my Big Blue (I have the '47 edition) on Hip. I sell a lot of the tougher stuff to find in Big Blue, because that's what I'm purchasing most of the time, even though most of the stamps aren't big dollar at all. But $15 orders with 2 pages of invoices keeps me busy!

In 6 years, I'm almost to 28,000, not including US, which I removed from the album. I had a victory a couple of months ago when I scored the supposed most difficult stamp in Big Blue, Syria 106c, in a Rasdale auction. But I've recently also completed the Colombian States and Department of Zelaya (Nicaragua), and they were all really tough to find.

For those unfamiliar with Jim's site, here is the link: http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/
    The site offers a checklist for the 1st volume Scott International 1840-1940 (one of the later editions, I think '97), so for earlier editions it will work, but some adjustments need to be made. Also, he has gone, in 10 years, through every country, showing highlights, information on cost, information on watermarks, printing types, fakes, reprints, etc. Just a wonderful tool for philately. He also has a guest writer, Bud, who is one of the few who has completed a Big Blue, and Bud is posting one country each week, with high res images of each country. It really helps those of us with color challenges.

So, Wayne, how is it going for you?

Thanks for asking, Ray
  • Ray...thanks for the link. Just read through the Canada section. Great stuff!/John
  • Sorry for getting back to you Ray and thanks for the info. Yes, I’ve also starting collecting Big Blue just a few years ago and with the guidance of the Big Blue site I am really enjoying the adventure. I have been finding most of my stamps on HS but also I have thousands of WW stamps that I collected from the sixties. In addition to collecting BB I also collect Dead Countries since I have extras. I house my collection in binders and I’ll create my own country pages when I’ve completed a country. Good to know that there is someone else I can discuss with about BB.
  • Interesting site! Too bad I hadn't known about it I might have kept collecting 1840-1940. Just sold my Scott International albums covering this period.
    Their is a definite demand for these stamps, has I found out when I listed my collection with my regular stuff.