Should there have been a better way?

edited August 2016 in Questions 0 LikesVote Down
OK, I had a buyer make offers on a bunch of items. That resulted in a series of purchases that did not require immediate payment. All of those items collected on a single invoice.

Subsequently, the buyer bought several items at the listing price. Instead of getting added to the existing invoice, they were totaled up in a new invoice, and they were payed for via immediate PayPal payment. The initial invoice (from the best offers) remained unpaid.

Both invoices had S/H charges applying to them. I modified the first invoice to remove the S/H charges. I went to "send" him the invoice, but it doesn't appear there is a "send" option, so I messaged him and he went ahead and payed that invoice.

This really seemed like a mess and far more complicated than it should be. Is there a way these various items could have been combined into a single invoice/payment so I don't have to incur the PayPal base fees twice? I don't think it's fair to have to charge the Buyer two sets of S/H charges if I have the opportunity to combine into a single shipment.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Doug...I had the same prob.......a dozen best offers that I accepted. Then the buyer bought one more cover by best offer which was BOT added to the prior invoice. The buyer messaged about this......If U look on Ur controls there is a button to "Combine Invoices".....I clicked that & it was done
  • Thanks Patrick. In my case, the buyer bought items at regular price and wouldn't have had an opportunity to message me, for they (I presume) were forced to pay as part of the checkout process. Since it was paid already, I didn't get the opportunity to combine anything. At least, that's what I think happened.
  • Mornin Doug.......Not so in my case...... The buyer bought 11 covers on best offers..... no payment made or received.....They best offered on one more cover which DID come up on a separate invoice. The buyer messaged me to combine invoices, which is when I found the "combine invoice" button.
  • Got it. I am looking forward to advice from Mark, because I expect the same may happen with auction winnings. The combination of forced payment when buying from stores mixing with other purchased items where you can have a delay is a bit frustrating. I'm wondering if, as a buyer, you can combine invoices or not? If not, should they be able to? Perhaps hit a button and the system can look for all unpaid items that person has bought from the seller and merge them together and recalculate S/H charges as applicable?
  • The hit button for buyers sounds good....Kinda like a cart waiting for checkout.

A bit of a story behind the covers I just sold..... The buyer originally best offered me on BS...I NEVER received notification from BS about them, just as I didn't receive notification about a sale (5 stamps for $116.00)!!!!!! It was only after that buyer of the stamps paid via paypal that I went to "my bidstart" to see the items sold.....& also the best offers about the covers. The buyer was still interested in them, but since the best offer had expired he couldn't best offer again on BS........I replied that he could on Hipstamp.........2 weeks later I get the same message again....& i send the same reply.....

Apparently he hadn't received my 1st reply, just as I had not been notified of the sale or the best offers?.....

Either way? BS continues to show it's problems.......& Hipstamp has a new customer :)

Ya'll have a GREAT weekend

Pat

Now excuse me as I have to add more compost to my Iris bed as I have 70 new rhizomes that should arrive Monday :)
  • PS....I did like the way the old BS worked.....The buyer could pay when they chose, Back when BS was rockin, I had a few regular customers that would buy items over a couple weeks. With them? I just messaged them, asking them to let me know when they were ready for an invoice.
  • Currently, if a buyer wins auctions, or best offers, they're automatically combined into one invoice with any other unpaid auctions, or best offers, from within the last 3 days. Outside of 3 days, the Seller can then manually combine them if they choose to do so, from the Members Area > Selling > Sold / Orders section.

That being said, because we require payment at Checkout for Store Items - these items currently can not be combined with any other unpaid items (auctions or best offers) since the new Store Item order would never be unpaid. What would logically make sense however is that when you go to pay for Store Items, if you have any outstanding auctions or best offers from the Seller - that you would be able to pay for those items as well at that time (and save on shipping). This is on our to-do list with a high priority.
  • Sounds good. It would at least give attentive buyers that ability. I look forward to it.
  • Mark. Why not let the sellers have the select/option to offer store buyers " request invoice".
    By that, sellers will be able to invoice the correct shipping cost (weight) for multi lots/items.
  • Has anything been done on this yet Mark? I have a customer that is waiting to pay for store items as well as best offers I accepted. He can't combine them and I can't see his store purchases to combine them and offer him an invoice for both purchases.
  • This is currently part of the Pay Later feature. As a Seller, you have the option to enable Pay Later / Pay by Check & Money Order from the Members Area > Store page. After which any buyer can request to be pre-approved by you to Pay Later for all future purchases. In your specific case, for example, if the buyer was to be pre-approved by you, they could then checkout and click the "Pay Later" button, which would let the buyer and/or yourself (depending on when the purchases were made) combine invoices.

In the future, we'll be offering an additional opportunity to checkout and page for store items and combine payment with pending unpaid auctions and offers regardless of the Pay Later feature being enabled.