British Commonwealth "Omnibus" issues

I, finally, realised there was this collecting area, and have endeavoured to start several sets; I'm just not sure if I have identified them all, so I'm turning to you experts for help.
I have the 1935 Silver Jubilee of KG V, but do I include Commonwealth countries with their own designs, or don't they qualify?
I have the 1946 Peace issue, the 1947 Royal visit; the 1949 U.P.U. Centenary; the 1953 Q.E. II Coronation; the 1963 Red Cross Centenary; the 1965 Churchill series.
I have a few issues from the 1965 International Co-operation Year; Princess Anne's Wedding (Yeuch!), and Q.E. II's 25th Wedding Anniversary.
I would truly welcome your answers, comments, and (non-financial) evaluation of these sets.
Thanks in advance, stay safe,
Robert Tucker

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That's an amazing collection. I have only completed the mint 1953 coronation set. I included the countries with individual designs.. But if I start an used version of it, I might skip them.
    John Pidgeon
  • edited May 2020 6 LikesVote Down
    1935 Silver Jubilee - 250 Total
    1937 Coronation - 202 Total
    1945-1946 Victory - 164 Total
    1948 Royal Silver Wedding - 138 Total
    1949 UPU Anniversary - 310 Total
    1951 University Issue - 28 Total
    1953 Coronation - 106 Total
    1953-1954 Royal Visit - 13 Total
    1958 Caribbean Federation - 30 Total
    1963 Freedom From Hunger - 77 Total
    1963 Red Cross - 108 Total + 2 Miniature Sheet
    1964 Shakespeare - 25 Total
    1965 ITU Centenary - 112 Total
    1965 ICY - 107 Total + 2 Miniature Sheet
    1965 -1967 Churchill - 182 Total
    1966 Royal Visit - 34 Total
    1966 Football World Cup - 68 Total + 2 Miniature Sheet
    1966 WHO Headquarters - 58 Total + 1 Miniature Sheet
    1966-1967 Unesco - 110 Total + 1 Miniature Sheet
  • If using "common design types" listed in the front of Scott's catalogs, you come up with a few less listings in most of the sets Jeri's summation is showing. This serves to set in motion the argument of who is the authority on "completeness". The whole hobby is infused with all manners of contentiousness, so pick your poison.
  • Generally, with these issues, I consider Stanley Gibbons the authority. The composition I listed would probably come under the "Original" issues. Stamps issued in connection with any of the events by countries which are no longer in the British Commonwealth have now been omitted by SG in current lists. So I believe that explains the disparity.

I agree with you Ron but that's what makes this such a fascinating hobby :smiley:

• And I tend to agree with you that the British source would best reflect the scope of their own issues. The forum's pot has been relatively quiet lately, so I though a little stirring was in order ;-)
  • Ah, yes. Always did like a good bubble on my cauldron.
  • edited May 2020 0 LikesVote Down
    Another naive question: in this context, what do you guys mean by "British source"?

To repeat an earlier question, 'Do I include Commonwealth countries with their own designs, or don't they qualify?'
  • On your second question it's a yes and no answer depending on what you're looking for.

It all depends if you're going by the common design or by the topic. And that is a matter of your preference.
  • The "British Source" to me means the Stanley Gibbons Catalogue.

The Commonwealth countries do qualify. For example: The 1935 Silver Jubilee has a total of 250 issues - meaning Great Britain and all the issues of the British Commonwealth countries. However, as stated earlier, as the issuing countries became independent, SG dropped them from the Omnibus List. So this then becomes your preference - collect all issues originally considered or only issues of countries now under the Commonwealth. Latest example, perhaps, would be Hong Kong. My preference is to include all the entities as originally listed as part of the Omnibus series.
  • Thank you everyone for sharing your expertise. I knew I would get the correct answers here - the right place to come to for sure. Your explanations regarding "common design" versus "topic" finally brings clarity to my confused observations.
    Brilliant!