Beware of stolen items being "fenced"

This is a sensitive topic, but increasingly valid. We all know that innocent folks find small collections and then ask their value. It is often very little. BUT I think we should all maintain a modicum of suspicion towards those with expensive material who know NOTHING about what they have. It is the usual "granddad or uncle" inheritance story. Thieves find the anonymity of these types of forums easy to find out if there is value or not. And we just cannot know it. It has been about 14 months since the Walnut Creek heist in California so I expect that the thieves will soon start to pawn the stuff. But just a thought about reasonable caution, especially with those whose writing skills do not indicate a reasonable investment in learning ( forgive if that sounds a bit arrogant, but I always believe that being direct is honest).
https://news24-680.com/2020/11/11/walnut-creek-stamp-dealer-loses-high-priced-u-s-british-pieces-to-thieves/

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • a broader example of stolen items being fenced?
    istockphoto-537297198-1024x1024
  • Local stamp shows seem to always have some problems with items going missing. It's such a vulnerable venue for crimes of opportunity, whether switching stamps, putting a personal item on top of material and lifting it along when leaving, or more blatantly walking off with binders while seller is attending other customers. It's a shame when the joy of the hobby is overtaken by instances of covetous desire/actions
  • And it has always been that way. When we started doing the monthly shows in Albany NY back in the 80's st the very first show a well dressed gentlewoman sat down at the table and started to make a pile of covers and stamps. I noticed another dealer walked over to a nearby table. When the customer went to pay for the stamps the other dealer came over and asked if I had a set of Zepps for sale. I think the most expensive thing on the table might have been $75, As he turned to go back to his table he said "Oh John, looks like you dropped a few". Never missing a beat my customer looked down and said - "Oh my goodness, so I did". He then picked them out of his open briefcase and added them to his pile...... ..

After he left I was told he was a well respected member of the community and spent a LOT of money at the show, unfortunately he was a kleptomaniac. Don;t confront him but get up and walk around the table when he looks like he's getting ready to leave. He takes no offense if you notice something and point it out.... What an odd business
  • edited January 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    I still remember one particular scum, I had about 500 rare absolute top quality Japan Old Post cards I let a dealer take them home to look through and purchase. he stole about 25% of them. at least he had class and only stole the best ones. Another reason i do not do shows any more . love the internet sales. you pay - i ship. Just saying its not only the customers you have to be concerned with. I also sent cross country from Calif to PA a large revenue taxpaid lot to a revenue dealer we all know.. no names.. He agreed to purchase them for $2500 (years ago) 5 months later he still had not paid.. i ask him to return and some things were not in the lot upon arrival. back in old days - approvals through the mails was common. just saying blatant theft and devious theft are similar things. these days claims of non delivery are the new thing :-) Not just stamps either.. :-) My first ring i ever made I let the customer take with promise to pay.. what a fantastic lesson i learned. LOL
  • edited January 2022 2 LikesVote Down
    When I was eight years old, I sent away for one of those free bags of stamps,
    along with stamps for approval. If you don't want them, send them back.
    I didn't send them back.
    I still feel guilty.

One less secret I'll take to my grave.
    I'm sorry Kenmore Stamps.
  • Now we know where to find you... :)

Everyone makes mistakes in your misspent youth. Have you considered atoning by giving some stuff away to a young collector?
  • Too Funny! Scott and Rocky!!
    My Sister and I did the same thing.. My Dad wad totally ticked off when the bill came. :-)
  • edited January 2022 2 LikesVote Down
    Remember the Columbia Records company scams where they would send you albums and then demand payment.... all you needed was to send a little postage paid postcard to them and BAM , it started!
    https://gizmodo.com/how-everyones-favorite-shady-mail-order-music-scam-taug-1723344047
  • edited January 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    "A skinned knee, is a blessing from God"

Getting all those threating letters from the stamp company
    scared the hell out of me as a young boy.
    I was afraid to tell my folks, because I didn't want the lecture.
    It was good to be taught a good life lesson as a young boy, instead of a young adult.
    After that, I never got into trouble with creditors again.