US CCVER 1867

How can I cl for grills if the stamp is still on cover

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I can’t post photos ugh
  • Make sure the image is at or below 2MB in sixe.
  • Shawn, once you get the cover up, I'll explain how to do this.
  • Well the 2c is a 178. It is possible for this issue to be present with a J grill, but this one does not have it. The J grill is so strong, that almost always there are at least a couple of grill points that break through the paper, and are obvious. Even without that, the J Grill is heavy, and easily visible from front or back.

Now, the 1c you have there, the key indicator is the pearl left of the 1, which is entirely obliterated by this cancel. But since it is on cover with a Continental printing, I would suggest it is also most likely a continental printing, the 156. Like the 178, the only candidate for grill is J grill, and same applies. I see no evidence of a grill here. It is a slim, though possible chance that it is a 134 with an H grill however. It's uncommon but not rare.

What you want to do is take a strong light like a flashlight or the light from a mobile phone, and hold it at 90 degrees to the surface of the cover. Let the light create a "shadow" across the face of the stamp, like a long sunset. Then look at the surface of the stamp. If there is a grill present you should be able to see at least some part of it.
    There is a crazy slim chance that it's a 134A, thought this would enter into the realm of rare. In this case, the stamp would need to be "lifted" by a professional expertizer, where they examine the grill from the back, and then there are 2 options for it on the cover. It can be placed back on with a hinge, so that the back of the stamp can be verified (and since it's tied to the cover by that particular cancel at the bottom, this practice is common, and the only way to definitively prove what the grill is, if it has one). Option 2 is to put it back on the cover in the place that it was, aligned to it's "tie" with another adhesive (that doesn't stain).

But my expectation is this is a 156 and a 178 on cover, tied to cover, with a total CV of about $25, though the higher value 178, is pretty damaged, and both and poor centering. The killer cancels on them also make them less attractive to cover collectors.
  • Thanks I appreciate that ! I have several stamps I want to add to my shop but I don’t want to list them incorrectly or misrepresent what is for sale? I have started to inventory them ? What can I do to verify I made yhe correct identification of what I want to sell ! I want to have a good reputation
  • These are some of the covers that I’m struggling with ID

C8232A02-EB0A-4392-A186-8402177FE682