Member Story Tellers at Hip Stamps

Hip Stamps has 731 stores on their listings. If the average dealer with a store had 20 years or more in the business that would be approximately 15000 years of potential stories. My first ad in the local Toronto paper was when I was about 14 years old and I have sold stamps part time or full time ever since. I am 79 years old now and operate from Toronto, Canada that means 65 years of stamp selling.Recently I have seen members complain about the lack of stamp stories here. What can we do to encourage these dealers with so many interesting stories to finally put them out there for the enjoyment of all of us. May I start the ball rolling to encourage all of you to put that story on this thread.
TRIPS TO NEW YORK CITY
If memory serves me right back in the 1970's and early 1980's I was probably going to New York about once or more per month. Harmer's and other major auction houses were an attraction plus the odd visit to a customer there. Flights were cheap, hotels were reasonable and since the stamp market was so great it all seemed so easy to do.One of my contacts in New York was a New York detective we will call "A" who was a stamp collector and also acted as security for at least one dealer most of you have heard of. He was and is my friend and though I didn't hire him we made our way around New York together.On one of my visits we went to the stamp store of Jeffry Morowitz who is the brother of Arthur Morowitz who I think still has Champion Stamp Co. Inc. in New York. Jeffry, "A" and I were talking stamps when a young man showed up , in a stamp store, asking about having his typewriter fixed. Strange! This set off alarm bells in my friend "A" and discreetly behind a cement post out came his service revolver. Jeffry told the young man that he didn't fix typewriters and the guy quietly left the shop. "A" who had some gun confrontations with criminals over the years would not have had any hesitation in using that weapon if it had been an attempted robbery. Fortunately nothing came of it but it was an interesting scene to see.
"A" was also the Liaison Officer between New York City Police and various Consuls. One day we were out with the Canadian Vice-Consul which works out great when it comes to certain taxes. They are exempt.At that time Ken Taylor was the Canadian Consul to New York City and I was able to visit his office there.It was interesting to see his various awards for saving Americans in the Canadian Embassy in Iran where he had been Ambassador at the time of the uprising.
Stamp dealing puts you into many interesting situations. The purpose of this thread is for you to get your stories published here. Many others and myself would love to hear your stories and I don't want to bore you with another of mine at this time. Just ad your story to this thread. John Talman

Comments

• 63 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Does anyone know how this 'Dislike' button works?
  • John, Thank you for your response. Very nice, indeed. I would just like to clear up one point - I did not strike out at you. You asked me a question and I answered it and stated my position. You, however, chose to get personal. So I say "thank you" because you have just shown the entire Community your true colors. Enough said.

Out of respect for Mark, Justin & the Community there will be no further response to you.
  • No, John I don't. And, furthermore, I'll respond to whomever I please in whatever manner I choose..
  • "She's gone - She's gone - HALLELUJAH - HALLELUJAH!!!!!!"

Classy John. Real classy. Are you 12 years old or is this the first time you've ever used the Internet in your life? Because you're coming across as a complete dick, just so ya know.

(This isn't news to most members here but it may come across as news to you.)
  • Michael Generali has some stories to share. He tends to stray from the subject of stamps, though.

Screenshot_20170916-174205
    Screenshot_20170916-173948
  • Great reading! I have both copies. Enjoyed them very much. We do have some celebrities here - two come immediately to mind - Michael #'s & Dave "Toons" Bennett. Oh, almost forgot Professor Luree :)
  • John, will you please stop disrespecting the other members? That comment is totally NOT called for. You have slammed a few of my friends here and that is not acceptable behavior on this site. So please refrain from your bullying remarks.
  • edited September 2017 5 LikesVote Down
    For over 10 years (save for the SG era) I have enjoyed reading these forums and the sense of camaraderie enjoyed by all.

Lately that has changed. Argumentative, disrespectful bullies who always have to get in the last word appear to have free reign on the forums now.

Can someone explain why some of these posts do not violate the terms and conditions;

“Contribute to an unfriendly environment either through offensive or abusive messaging (whether made using the internal message system feature or otherwise) or on our community and forum pages.”

Paul created a de facto “dislike” button which has received10 votes so far …. that seems to go unnoticed.

Joining the ranks of those who can find something better to do with my time until such time as a modicum of civility returns to these pages.
  • Jeri is not gone.. just look UP.. Class always Shines to the top, & Jeri is one of the brightest stars in the HipStamp sky.
  • Permit me to tell of a long-term fellow collector who so enjoyed his hobby that for years he bought collections at every opportunity it seemed, eventually accumulating so much stock that closets spilled out into stamp rooms. Recently, he realized he was getting on in years and having no relatives interested in stamps, he decided he'd better start downsizing his vast horde. Even at a steady rate of listing and selling, it was a monumental task that would extend well into his remaining time on earth. He reasoned posting near Scott catalog would legitimize those prices, but would generate paltry few sales and disappoint the unfortunate buyers who down-the-road would experience harsh doses of reality. Marketing material on a par with other dealers, he figured would simply place him in an ocean of clones with him occasionally winning the lottery of a buyer randomly choosing his offering. So, determined to generate interest, he committed to make his philatelic wares the cheapest on the HipStamp site. I hear it's working and I understand he will be listing more items as soon as the sales slow down. Instead of other dealer's condemnation, he received orders from them too. Everything was to be offered at some fraction of Scott's prices, so he named his store Part Cat stamps. You may have even read some of his posts on these Forums... Ok, this HAS to be the most shameless self-promotion to find its way on this board. Send me to my stamp room without my tongs.
  • Holy crap! I just clicked Paul's like button.
  • Instead of (or in addition to) a dislike button, it would be nice to have an 'ignore button' which when activated would block all moronic posts from a moronic poster so they wouldn't be seen.
  • edited September 2017 4 LikesVote Down
    John: Please note that we have removed several of the earlier posts you have made as not being compliant with our terms and conditions. While our Staff does moderate our community forums, and while we appreciate your enthusiasm, please do not take it upon yourself to try and moderate our forums. Members are free to participate within our community forums, and we encourage all members to contribute.

If we believe there is an issue which needs to be moderated - as is the case here in this post - we'll step in and take appropriate action. While we do ask that members keep posts on topic, we do not have any issue with members discussing items which are related to the original, or previous posts - even if indirectly. In this case - the conversation is perfectly fine, and again, if it were not, we would step in to moderate - as we do not currently designate any members as moderators, and acting as such is not appropriate; and again ask that you cease attempting to do so any further.
  • Carol --- oh, OK. I have always thought 'de facto' meant 'real or actual'. I thought someone had crafted a dislike button image as a spoof.

Dan and Kurt and George---- excellently stated!!

• A wee story about Queen City Auctions. When the site of their auctions was moved to the Roehampton Hotel near Mt Pleasant & Eglington in Toronto they would show the auction lots the day and morning before the sale in meeting rooms on the top floor of the hotel and then hold the auction on the 2nd floor. Their insurance wanted someone to be in the room with the stamps and they did not want to hire a security guard. They did offer a London, Ontario dealer (me)a deal I could not refuse. Spend the night with the stamps and they would arrange for a rollaway bed. I got a free hotel room and a very modest stipend for helping them with the auction. I would get supper and some junk food from one of the many places in the area and spend the night with the stamps. I could hook up with the hotel wifi so I didn't want or need television. The only visitor I ever had was a member of the hotel cleaning staff.
  • I don't know, I liked his story, myself.

Ted (who has no stamp stories to share, because he's an asocial recluse [which is probably a redundancy]).
  • Back in 1970 my stamp business was part time and I worked in the head office of a large mining company called Falconbridge Nickel Mines at that time. The Canadian Centennial issue had made me many of thousands in sales of all the varieties and it paid one to keep your eyes open for something new of which there never seemed to be any shortage. Printed on the gum, hibrites and other papers, etc., etc. kept popping up. The King Edward Hotel was next to my office and around Oct. 26 of 1970 I noticed a stamp dispenser for the Opal Manufacturing Co. Limited . The machine sold 20c worth of Centennials in a pane of 8 stamps - four 2c and four 3c for a premium of 5c over face. Very unusual and I quickly learned that this item was only sold thru the Opal Co. and not thru Canada Post. I bought some but I knew this was an item that could be sold in the thousands and so I eventually went to the Opal Co, to buy thousands from them. Prior to going there I had already sent a sample to some large new issue dealers and secured orders for them at a premium over what I had to pay. Some of my large orders went to the UK but because of their postal strike around that time I had a chance to carefully look at them because I could not ship due to the strike. This was when I was the first to discover some with the cross perfs. (USC #BK63b Cat. $300.00 each today). I had no idea how scarce they were so probably sold the ones I found for under $10. each at that time.
    When the Opal Company sold out the so called Opal booklets I supplied them with some discount postage and they sold
    them in little covers thru the same machines. Animal stamps and Prime Ministers were among those I supplied them to the surprise of any collector who made a purchase from the machine.
    A couple of years later I decided to go full time into the stamp market which was really starting to take off and the rest is history.
  • There is a great write up by Tim Hodge in Linn's Stamp News on October 16, 2017 with the title "Airmail rarities take flight in Cherrystone sale. He mentions the Harry Hawker pilot and Kenneth Mackenzie Grieve navigator flight in 1919 in a single engine Sopwith Atlantic biplane. After a controlled landing in the Atlantic they were rescued by a passing Danish Merchant ship and five days later a Britain bound US ship recovered the mail bag and delivered it to England. See Newfoundland #C1 for some philatelic details. Years ago in my store on Victoria St. in Toronto the son of London to London pilot Captain Terrence B. Tully showed up with material related to that flight in 1927. Tully and his navigator Lieutenant James Metcalf were not as lucky as Hawker and his navigator and both disappeared in the choppy Atlantic along with the mail never to be found. Today one cover, never flown, exists - USC Cat. Value $100,000. Of the 100 copies of stamp USC #CLP6 exist - cat. value CDN. $50,000. each. Now back to the story - I spent quite a bit of time talking to the son of the pilot. He had brought what was left in his father's archives and was asking a reasonable amount for the items. No stamps (his mother) the widow had been given a mint block of four but left it in her room at a hotel while she went out to supper. A thief entered and took the block, which is four singles now, and part of the 13 known on the market. However, after I bought the lot and examined it I found photos of planes Capt. Tully had flown as a test pilot for Avro; also his pencil written notes calculating fuel etc. for the flight ; a number of post cards unused, issued at the time and commemorating the flight. I talked these over with Major Mallot who once ran our War Museum in Ottawa and who is a collector. He advised me to sell them at about $500. each at that time. There were other interesting items in the lot. The flight took place 90 years ago but it shows how far we have advanced in flight over those years. Capt. Tully was a first world war fighter pilot and the son told me that his sister had thrown his uniform in the garbage. We have a fascinating hobby that can put us in touch with many aspects of history and heroism.
  • Right on! Carol! It has grown really irksome.
  • edited September 2017 2 LikesVote Down
    Dave Bennett - "Hi Carol --- who is Paul and where can we see the 'de facto dislike button'?"

Paul Molloy - 10 or so posts up. Followed by Rod Tiltyard
    I've been selling stamps since I was 15, and full time for the last 9 years. I'm sort of a "pup" compared to many dealers but have been selling stamps for almost 40 years now.

The first interesting story that comes to mind for me, that also includes a moral, involved a Canadian mint stamp collection/stock in a stockbook.

I don't remember where I got it, but it was in amongst a bunch of stuff (I'm a junkboxaholic).

The collector, to ensure the safety of their good stamps, had hidden them behind a bunch of old MNH 5c stamps in the rows of the stock pages, so there were full sets of MNH singles to the $1 destroyer, the $1 chateau etc all neatly tucked away behind common MNH 5c commemoratives. Of course nobody ever saw them or stole them, and when the stamps were sold, nobody noticed them until I deconstructed the pages. What a find and of course a bargain. Unfortunately it is finds like this that stimulate my junkboxaholicism.

It is also a good reminder that if one is "securing" stamps that those who will look after them after you know where the good stuff is!

I'll maybe post some other stories/recollections later....

(PS you'll notice that I have a propensity to invent new words on a somewhat regular basis....sometimes simply because my spelling is woeful or because I simply have a use for that new word!)
    Here's another...

We used to have an exchange program where people could send stamps against purchases.

We received a somewhat damaged bubble envelope from a fellow in Scotland that looked like it had dried blood on it!

At that time the queue was pretty long so it was quite a while before I got to the point of evaluating the material.

Around the same time we got a subsequent letter from the fellow telling us that he was sorry he hadn't written for a bit because he had been hit by a bus while walking on his way to dropping off his letter at the mailbox! The envelope of stamps he had with him had been lost, and he had been in the hospital for a while!

It seems that someone found the letter on the street afterwards and put it in the mailbox for him (despite the blood!!!) and it made its way to us!

He was very lucky to have survived ok, (he was in his 90s) and it was surprising that someone put the envelope in the mail and it made it to us ok!
  • Ron Carmichael: Another great story from you but now you have reminded me of something along the same line. Years ago when rents were cheaper in downtown Toronto I had a street level store on Victoria St. near the King Edward Hotel where the Beatles stayed as well as many other celebrities including Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. Radar from Mash once dropped in and offered me some Canadian Air Mail first flight covers. Many offers of stamps and covers, etc. would come in on any given day. One purchase involved some early stampless covers and early stamps. Not sure when I had a chance to take a look at the covers but when I did I also unfolded them for a closer look. One from early 1852 had gone thru the mail twice and on the other side of the stampless cover was a three pence Beaver with sheet margin. I carefully soaked the stamp off the sheet of paper. After all I still had a full stampless cover and the stamp and that side of the paper made for an interesting story. At that time the well known auctioneer Jim Sissons operated out of the King Edward Hotel and would often drop in to my store. I showed him the stamp I had found and by this time realized it was a Canada Scott #1 on laid paper. Sissons said it was one of the finest examples he had seen of this stamp. At that point I thought I should put it back on the cover on the side I had discovered it on. Unfortunately I put it on with some UHU glue.
    When I sold it to a leading collector he submitted it to V.G. Greene Foundation for expertising and they gave it a bad certificate due to the UHU glue. I had sold it cheaply for under $1,000. and though I knew it was genuine I gave my customer his money back. Jim Sissons was deceased by this time but fate put me in touch with Chuck Firby of Michigan.
    He is a Canada Pence expert and was an auctioneer in the US at that time. We both had noticed that the rings cancel on the stamp that tied it to the cover actually left an impression on the cover as well. Apparently the date on the cover also confirmed that it had to be a #1. In any case he sold it for me in one of his auctions and as I recall it brought about $2500.
    I bought many gems over that counter at that store and many of them give me pleasant memories to this day. Thanks for bringing this memory back Ron. By the way a mint Canada #3 the 12 Pence was sold in Ottawa, Canada this week for $285,000. plus 15% commission.
  • One of North Americas oldest continuous stamp clubs the Toronto Stamp Collectors Club celebrated their 125th anniversary in the offices of the Vincent Graves Greene Philatelic Research Foundation. I was a past president of this club for a number of years and was asked to attend (Evening of Oct. 10/17) to participate in a memorable evening of nostalgia. Two articles in the most recent issue of the Phila-Journal and a fine 4-page cover story featured in the current issue of the Canadian Philatelist set the stage for our party. There was a bit of wine, lots of soft drinks and some great snacks for all. There was a draw for door prizes and I won the Junk Box. I can always use a junk box and one collectors junk is another mans treasures. The VGG Reference Librarian Ms. Kathy Hartley presented with full display, her award winning postal history presentation of "A Wander through the Philatelic Heart of (a Not so long ago) Toronto". She concentrated on the area around Victoria St. and Adelaide St. E. in downtown Toronto where I had a street level story at that time when rents were much cheaper. Members were allowed to ad their memories as she continued her great talk. All in all a wonderful evening of philatelic fellowship. TSCC Secretary Michael Graf insisted on giving me a ride home after that wonderful evening.
  • I recall as a young tyke going over to Sam Collins's house after riding bikes to get a rice crispy snack or some freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies if we were lucky. Often we would see his grandfather, a tartan blanket on his lap, hunched over fully engaged in his stamps. We had little interest in such things or the patience to find out why he spent so much time playing with pieces of coloured paper. One day we saw him holding up a triangular-shaped stamp to the light and our curiosity got the better of us. Soon we were shown page after page of these fascinating Cape of Hopes, as we were told they were called.The slight variations had little impact, but the subsequent stories of the ones on envelops with dates and destinations caused us to wonder about the who and what and why of the correspondences. It was only much later in life did I begin to comprehend some of the sophistication and subsequent value of his collection. Soon after we moved andI lost track of Sam. And much like a fisherman losing a big fish before getting at least a glimpse of it, I feel unsettled in not knowing of whatever became of his gramps collection.
  • Dennis and Ron: You don't hear the term "Young Tyke" often enough these days. Two great memories - hope we get a lot more. Dennis my rent was exceptionally cheap as well as your rent on the hotel room. I remember you well from those days you shrewd bargainer with an eye for a bargain. There were always bargains in that area in those days on the "Nassau" street of Toronto. Those were the days my friend - but I don't think they have ended.
  • The collector had a plan! He would sell his US stamp collection , deposit the money in his and his wife's joint bank account and then commit suicide. He had outlined his plan in a suicide note he had left at home which was about 30 miles outside of Toronto. His plan started going off track when his wife arrived home early that day and found the note. She knew who he dealt with for stamps so she contacted all of us. When she contacted me I was told to stall the man and have one of the staff call the [police so they could come and pick him up and get him the care he needed. Sure enough, Al showed up with his large US collection. My staff was given the signal to call police and I proceeded to stall Al while I examined the collection. Thru it all Al appeared normal and except for the call I wouldn't have known that he needed help. We chatted about stamps and other things as I continued to look. A police officer showed up and Al (with a bewildered look on his face) left with the officer and with his collection. Hi wife told the story to our local stamp magazines and was very thankful to those dealers who had run into him that day. I understand he did get the help he needed and I was glad to be a part of it.
    Just another day in a busy stamp store,
  • John another fascinating story, thanks for sharing. You would be happy to know that it was a Canadian stamp which I was given that peaked my interest in the hobby even though I was surrounded by stamps most of my life. My father an avid collector brought me along to show when I was seven and a friendly old dealer gave me my first stamp. My eyes lit up as it was a mint Canada 34, a beautiful small Queen Victoria stamp. My collection has grown leaps and bounds since that day.
  • During my years of selling stamps one of the stamps I have sold since day one has been the Great Britain #1 the Penny Black. At least a couple will be sold in my next public auction. Years ago The Excelsior Company had an offer selling the penny black and asked me to help them gather the quantity they needed for that offer. Quality was not the criteria but they did want decent looking stamps. As I recall they would pay me about $65. Canadian per stamp and I think I managed to come up with 100's of them at that time. The stamp has always fascinated me and I enjoy plating them when I find the time. At one point probably 20 years ago Urch Harris in England must have come into a mother lode of them. They had so many that they were able to ship me an above average consignment for auction of these including pairs, etc. They did very well. A first day cover formerly in the Maurice Burrus collection was sold in London in July/17. Probably a little more than 70 FDC's are known and the Scott Classic lists it at $165,000. in a recent issue. There are only two known penny black covers from China and one was offered in the same sale. Written on board HMS Rattlesnake on the Canton River. I didn't hear the prices realized but this cover was estimated at about $60,000. Some collectors only collect this one stamps when they start specializing and one can understand why. How long will a wealthy collector have to wait before the next penny black cover from China turns up? John Talman
  • My story is perhaps more a memory sparked by reading John, that you are in Toronto. That reminded me of the wonderful philatelic times I had when I lived there during the 1990s and into mid 2000s. I used to visit a hotel / building on the corner of Bay and Bloor Streets, if my memory is correct, because every 3 months or there abouts there was a stamp auction. Queen City Auctions just came into my head. Philately is a wonderful hobby for both collector and dealer and attending auctions is part of that. I just remember the atmosphere of high expectation with all the potential bidders in the room. I even won a few lots as I recall. I really miss attending live auctions and meeting real people. Something we miss a bit nowadays. So thanks for starting this thread. Michael
This discussion has been closed.