Opinion on Mount Type for Vert Strips

This is more of a collector's question, but I think most all here have worked both sides. Collecting and selling. Much of what the family has put into albums are singles and some occasional souvenir sheets (ex US #778). Recently, have come across vertical strips. Example is US #3337a of the 5 train stamps.

Your opinions: Do you use a horizontal strip and mount these vertically in the album (sides contained, but top bottom open). Or do you find the tall vertical sheets (tall sides open, top and bottom contained). Album is stored upright. So having the bottom edge closed to avoid gravity doing its work makes some sense. But when doing these taller narrow strips (compared to maybe a block of 8 stamps) would have so much of the sides open and only glued to the page at the top of this strip, seems it may be fairly flimsy in its support and more of an issue than gravity having the strip fall down.

Unfortunately, finding as we move into more recent stamps, the albums tend to have a page for the entire stamp sheet, but no spaces for the individual stamps, or vert/horz strips. A bit of a let down for a family trying to collect the less expensive used individuals rather than mint sheets. Makes for some creative mount positioning.

Thanks for any of your ideas/opinions on mounting taller strips of stamps.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Tom. I use horizontal strips and mount vertically with albums upright. I haven't noticed any problem with gravity. If they are the right fit, the tightness should hold them in place.
  • Agreed...the friction holds the strips in place.
    If you're still concerned about slippage, one of the mount manufacturers (which one escapes me at the moment) makes a glue stick specifically for use on mounts, so you could potentially partially seal the bottom of the strip.
  • Thanks Clifford and George. Makes sense. Actually as I was typing out the question (like hearing yourself repeat it out loud) I got to thinking the same thing, the extra friction the length of thee strip should work. The thought of 5 or 6 inches of open sides seemed more an issue than possibly slipping out the bottom. Worst case, a tiny bit of clear Scotch tape on the outside of the 'down' end would close it off.

Thanks for listening to me talk talking to myself. And thanks for the input. It makes great sense. Your way also allows for more area to spot adhere the mount the full length of one side of the mount. not just the top half.

Thanks !!!
  • Scotch tape would be a mistake, even on the mount, given the risk of adhesive bleed over time and the lack of archival quality. The bleed could even mess up the album page. Go with the glue stick made for mounts (i think Hawid is the one that makes it; Subway Stamps used to carry it) if you go that way.
  • Thanks George, I believe I've seen those when browsing various places. I'll check out the sticks. And you reminded me that one of my stamp albums as a kid (way back) I must have run out of hinges and my brother and I turned to clear tape. Long before the better Scotch brands that didn't go brittle and turn brown. Note to self... forget that tape idea.
  • Hawid Glue Pe. But, talk about price gouging of a specialized customer . . .

https://www.amazon.com/Hawid-Glue-Pen-Stamp-Mounts/dp/B008AWTMWC
  • A couple of the sites I use for purchasing mounts and other supplies do have these pens. Just never looked for them before. Both had for a reasonable $5 - $6