PayPal policy changes effective May 7th

The following change at PayPal may impact some of us that issue refunds to buyers for various reasons:

"We’re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you."

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I like how they soften the blow by saying first that they won't charge you more fees for giving back the money. Why, that's so nice of them!
  • Well now, doesn't that simply suck the big wazoo.
  • Only in the US so far - but in time all these policy changes filter through to us in the UK.

It's totally unfair for ebay users as many returns/refunds are now automated and the seller has no option but to except a return/refund and now will also lose ALL their paypal fees (not just the small transaction fee).
  • Banks and politicians taxes and fees to feed their greed.
  • So are there other payment venues we should lobby Mark to pursue? I know Paypal owns Venmo...
  • I think it would be an uphill battle. I remember when I tried using Googlepay as primary and removed the Paypal logo. Sales fell through the floor.
  • I have my own merchant credit card accounts, and they are more expensive than Paypal, and the bank gets very "funny" about internet and mail sales. Square is something that one of my friends has used and he is happy with it for both B & M, mail and internet sales. I think that most of our Hipstamp customer base is fairly happy with using Paypal. In Canada the Canadian Federation of Independent Business used to have a way to get a good rate on merchant credit card services, and I would guess that something like CFIB would exist in the US. Paypal is money & fee hungry, but then so are most major Canadian Banks. I think that the major banks here are working hard on finding a way to charge customers for the air they breathe on bank premises.

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/fatdanes-stamp-store