GD-30 and VG-50 PSE graded stamps up for auction

I was perusing the auctions here of certified US stamps and notice a whole slew of stamps that are graded GD-30 and VG-50, which is something you don't see too often. Assuming the submitter had a choice to get those stamps graded or not, it's curious that grading was requested. Personally I've only been submitting stamps that I expect will grade well or are rarer stamps needing to determine their soundness. I am not seeking to criticize but just thought this was sort of interesting... Here's an example:

https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/us-400a-mint-with-pse-graded-cert-gd-30-og-nh/29480842

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In your linked example, the stamp has been reperforated on the left side, and per PSE's grading guide, "PSE also does not grade REPERFORATED, ALTERED, FAKE or COUNTERFEIT stamps."

The cert is from 2003, so, perhaps, their no-grading policy was implemented after that date. But, I would guess the reperf (which the submitter may not have been aware of) has a lot to do with the low grade.
  • I don't think the stamp was submitted by the seller. More than likely it came in a bulk dealer lot (higher grade floor sweepings). The certificate is included as a part if the stamps history and to allow for realistic bidding. It should be kept with the stamp.

Frankly it's a decent looking stamp and without including the cert someone would probably spend way too much for it. I applaud the dealers honesty
  • Those auctions are from Rosenberg-Philatelics.

I would exercise some caution when considering to bid on their certified stamps. Make sure the scan of the actual stamp and the certificate match. There were a few that ended tonight that didn't. Also, I've seen misidentified material.

I'm sure if there's a problem they would remedy the situation to your satisfaction.

Just throwing this out there -- Is this Mark Rosenberg's stamp store?

If it is I might be in trouble :smile:

-Les