Remember?

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore...
I ran across this cover.
Did you know that "Postique" is a US Post Office (and I assume a USPS) trademark???

It seems that there was one in Houston in 1980, and I seem to remember one in West Palm Beach also. I think they have now gone the way of the Passenger pigeon.

Anyone know of any still operating - remember going to one? I do remember that the clerk actually knew what you were talking about and presented you with exactly what you wanted from new issues. Sigh....

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm in the Houston area. My office now actually overlooks the old main post office downtown. (Someone bought it and is currently re-developing it into a food, entertainment, etc venue.) I remember going to the old PO and they had a little store in it that would sell new issues, FDC's, PB's , etc. Had the old wooden glass display counter cases. I loved going to do that every so often. Wayne, is that what you referring to as a Postique?
  • Yup, exactly like that in many places. I remember that in some postoffices there was a window designated the "philatelic window" that served the same purpose. I also remember, when I was just tall enough to see over the counter, that ANY clerk was knowledgeable and helpful. A kind clerk in my hometown PO helped my with sending for my first FDC. Try that today..."whats a fdc"
  • Come to think of it now, I also remember the old Foley's department store in downtown Houston had a stamp and coin department and you could even buy all your Cub Scout and Boy Scout stuff there too. That store turned into a Macy's for years and then was torn down in favor of a new office building. Now it's hard to find a place in downtown to buy clothes or anything else for that matter. Ancient memories!!!!
  • Gentlemen, you are dating yourselves. The large department store, Robinson's in downtown Los Angeles, had a wonderful stamp counter with issues I felt were untouchable and unattainable on display. I would stand and just look at all the stamps...it is such a pleasant memory. Long gone, I'm afraid. But happily, I own most everything I coveted as a young lad. Mission accomplished.
  • Well as Toby Keith once said so eloquently..."I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!!!!"
  • Dark.....really dark. Problem now is I can't remember the things I want to remember, but remember everything I don't want to remember. Duh.
  • edited August 2020 0 LikesVote Down
    The word postique is a valid scrabble word.
    postique n. (US, dated) A retail store selling items relating to postal mail, such as stamps and stationery.
    Scrabble scoring: 19 points.
  • Rene, I dated myself once but it didn't turn out too well. As far as this post .... I forgot what I was going to say.
  • Hmmm. Postique is "dated". Says something about us, huh?
  • What you guys "LACK" in age you more than make up for in...........................................................UH, SNORT, Sorry I must have Dozed off, What were we Talking About????