Israel Tabs

When the Scott Catalogue gives a value in the "With tabs" row, is that value for the set or for each individual stamp within the set?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Kimberly, Depends where it is. If it is below the single stamp listing, it is for that particular stamp. If it is below the Set Price then it is for the set.
  • Hi Kimberly, A Tab stamp from Israel must have the Complete Tab to actual be considered a Tab & priced as a Tab. If you see a perforated edge it means that the thin strip of selvege at the very bottom has been removed & it is no longer a true Tab. You must have a straight edge at the bottom. A perforated bottom should be priced as a stamp only. Dan
  • edited December 2020 3 LikesVote Down
    Also be aware that sheet stamps from Israel have multiple selvage/margin markings, but not all stamps with selvage qualify as stamps with tabs. The "Tab" will contain the name of the issue. Later issues include an inscription in English like those shown below. The Scott 228 is an example of a "Full Tab" as described by Dan above. Removal of the bottom perforated margin will reduce the value of the stamp. The Scott 361, on the other hand, would still be considered a tabbed stamp if the selvage on the right margin was removed. https://www.hipstamp.com/store/buybobstamps
    Israel tab
  • It is one of my pet peeves with Scott. They have a policy where the minimum stamp value is 25 cents, and this is consistent throughout the catalogue. Except for Israel, where the value of a tabbed set is often less than the minimum per stamp. So for example the value of #231-34 is $1.00 (adding up the values) for an untabbed set but only .50 for a tabbed one. This is the only country treated this way.
  • George, Israel is not the only country. I have seen this many times for other countries, where Scott gives a catalog value for a set that is lower than the cumulative value of the individual stamps. That's what happens, sometimes, when the policy is to place a minimum 25c value on a stamp.
  • Also encountered when the NH Price is cheaper than the hinged price.
  • Wow, it seems like you all knew what was confusing me. Thank you everyone!
  • One more question - is the "With tabs" value for MNH, Used, etc.?