Procedure to follow when the description and illustration do not match

Hi all - I'm relatively new in here as a seller and buyer (I haven't done much buying yet). Is there a HipStamp procedure to follow when an item's picture clearly does not match the description of what is being offered. This is particularly bothersome (even suspicious) when the asking price is far above that of the picture. For example, a search for - Great Britain MH70D (10p light orange brown, type "c") yields 4 results from two sellers, and IMO none are correct - the pictures are all clearly much cheaper varieties. I did complain to a seller before about a mismatch (the description and photo were of different sets altogether), but I never got a reply. Should HipStamp be notified, just in case these postings are mot mistakes? Thanks.

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • John, first, welcome to HipStamp! And, I do not mean to be snarky, welcome to "the real world". I have made a few mistakes in descriptions myself...caught some myself, and occasionally a buyer will point it out to me (and I correct it if wrong). Your issue is that the pictures do not match the description or catalog number if I am correct. I'm not sure if HS has a procedure for correcting these kinds of errors. If you reach out to the seller with your observation and they will either correct the error or ignore you. I think you will find that most quality sellers will respond one way or the other. The other group will not and their sales will naturally suffer. You can only do so much and one thing is to choose to not solicit those kinds of sellers. They will naturally weed themselves out. Best of luck to your endeavor!
  • I had that same problem on an online dating site.
  • Ron, I think you mean your match had the problem?
  • they eventually concluded I was matchless .... that's good isn't it? wait a minute.....hey
  • To John's point (trying to salvage the forum topic), I have, over the years, been guilty of dealer listing faux pas including calling a stamp MNH that was very lightly hinged, showing more sets than I had, mis-identification, and attaching the wrong image to a listing. My defense of claiming I was just demonstrating my humanity fell on deaf philatelic ears and was forced to endure the Hipstamp hinging squad gauntlet (and these were not dennisons). They also took great pleasure dousing parts of my body with lighter fluid which revealed some embarrassing watermarks, of which I will not further discuss. My laments were equally ignored with comments to the effect "it's just part of doing business". I try to bee mor carefull now.
  • Ron,,,,nice, and proper use of, commas. John, best thing I can say is "you can please some of the people all of the time...or, uh..." something like that. Like I said, most sellers do their very best to be accurate...some don't try at all. I, personally, just don't pay any attention to those who don't. I, personally, have better things to do. Commas RULE!
  • edited May 2021 2 LikesVote Down
    John, bare or bear with us. The answer to your question is to communicate in a nice way about said listing. Let the seller know that a listing may be incorrect. As Greg said, some will respond and thank you for letting them know and correct the listing and others may not respond, but correct the listing and others may not do anything.

I certainly appreciate the buyers that have said something to me and usually when I do further research they are right and I correct the listing and let them know and thank them.

We are all human and we do make mistakes and sometimes our eyes do not see what they are supposed to see or our fingers get a little wild and crazy and start off on a different thought.

Communication is the key and keep on stampin'.
  • Hello all,

As stated by others, you can reach out to the seller to let them know if there's an issue. Additionally, if you feel any mismatches are suspicious you can also use the "Report Abuse" button and that will notify Hip there is an issue. You can also write in to support@hipecommerce.com if there's anything you'd like us to check on.

Thanks!
  • Some of the background books in Ted's talks look mighty suspicious. And sometimes he just seems too smart for his philatelic pants!
  • I'm almost to the end of "Part Man Part Cat: The Sad Story of Ron Lenke," and sad to say, it looks like, in the end, Ron winds up comma-toes and apostrophied.
  • edited May 2021 1 LikesVote Down
    Alas my Grammer forecasted the same fate. Thankfully such a path leaves me with 4.5 lives, of which I am bound to squander in endless hours of playing #### games with an occasional breaking away to cast a "nugget" of questionable value into the philatelic sea of random thought. By contrast, watching paint dry was just too provocative and over-stimulating. I do lament, however, seeing how vulnerable my remaining stamps are to unintended perforations; victims of that clause-to-claws evolution.
  • Those independent claws will get you every time.
  • I was going to plead a case of clawsable deniability
  • I always enjoyed waltzing at the hair ball.
  • My hair has enjoyed waltzing off . . . without me.
  • Yeah, for me hair has been the last restraint from letting my mind chase more rabbit trails. Now if only I could do something about those darn sugar plums.