Pay Pal Rate Increase

I just got an email advising that PayPal is increasing their fees. At first glance it looked like they were decreasing the rate, but increasing the transaction fee by 63.3%. Upon further review it is apparent they are really significantly increasing both, as I would imagine the majority of people are paying from a PayPal account rather than from a credit card. The new rate of 3.49% represents an increase of 20.3%. These increases seem outrageous.

Hopefully HipStamp can provide better options for payment which possibly include, Stripe, Clover, Google Pay or Square.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Been to the grocery store lately - around here Wegmans appears to be raising a lot of prices 20 per cent. 10 pak of Kleenex from $10 to $12. Shucked corn from 5/$5 to 5/$6. And the beat goes on ...
  • Paypal 2.9% plus .30 increases to 3.49% plus .49 per transaction for sellers and postal rates are increasing soon yet Powell says it’s “transitory.”
  • This is only the beginning.
  • edited July 2021 4 LikesVote Down
    Unfortunately this means that I will have to raise my P&H fees. I am currently charging $1.25 to ship a stamp with no additional charge for additional small lots. The math on this is as follows: a purchase of a $1.00 stamp plus $1.25 in P&H yields a total invoice of $2.25. Under the current fee structure I pay HipStamp $.20, PayPal $.30 + $.07, and $.55 in postage. Add in $.10 for the cost of a printed receipt and envelope and you get pretty close to $1.25.

Under the new PayPal structure (and with the new USPS rate) the same transaction will cost me $.20 for HipStamp, $.49 + .08 for PayPal, $.58 for postage plus $.10 for materials for a total of $1.45. Thus, I will have to increase my minimum to at least $1.45 plus $.00 for each additional come August. I am not a happy camper.

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/buybobstamps
  • Bill O'Malley is right. PayPal got on the Postal Service bandwagon, can Hipstamp be far behind? After all, the big bad postal service will grab all the news and discussion while PP and Hip just slide in nicely. I can't wait for Social Security tells us there is no need for an increase (except Healthcare).
    Ain't it just wunnerful???
  • I was at Walmart yesterday. A Sharing size package of M&M's went from $2.88 to $3.38. Another local grocer is charging $4.88. The problem is that once the retail price goes up it will never go down again even if the wholesale price does. It looks like I also going to have to raise my fees that I charge.
  • And don't forget postage rates go up in August, too! For example, first class one ounce going to 58c.
  • One of the MAJOR problems is they doubled the amount per item from .05 to .10
    If you are a seller of low priced singles like I am, the paypal fee exceeds the price of the stamp
    I sell anywhere from 1 to 300 single stamps at a time for .15. Do the math
    THERE IS NO TECHNICAL REASON that hips cannot summarize an order to make it 1 lot of "stamps" when going to paypal for payment

HOW ABOUT IT HIPSTAMPS!!!!!!
  • Sorry, Russ, I’m not following you. What is that .10 per item charge?