Germany Martyrs of the Resistance 1964

edited July 14 in Stamp Reviews 0 LikesVote Down
This is Scott 883-90, the 8 stamps honoring German Resistance heroes. They were printed se-tenet in sheets of 8 with inscription. Scott does not list the sheet separately like any other souvenir sheet, and there is this curious note: "The stamps were valid; the sheet was not though widely used." That is from my 2013 vol.3.

Can anyone tell me more about this issue? I'm sure it was a touchy subject for Germans in 1964, and being issued on the 20th anniversary of the assassination attempt made it doubly so. There was probably lots of controversy at the time. But I'd love to learn how the stamps were valid while the sheet was not.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Excellent reference John
  • Can someone summarize the article I am unable to access?
  • Please, the same. Thanks for the reference, John, and I'll be happy to subscribe to the NY Times later, but I was just looking for a brief philatelic answer.
  • Sorry. I didn't realize you needed a subscription. Thought people were allowed free access to a limited number of articles.
    The article isn't really about the stamps, though they are mentioned. It's about the attempt to assassinate Hitler in 1944 and the German people in 1964 trying to put their history in perspective. Good background on the story but not really philatelic.
  • I had used up my free articles already. I get the Washington Post, I ought to get the Times as well but I'm just lazy.

I always like to recall this sheet around 20 July. All eight of these people were executed by the nazi regime. Beck and v. Stauffenberg of course died that night. Sophie Scholl was executed for anti-nazi pamphlets in 1943. Pastor Bonhoffer was hanged in April of 1945, hardly a month before the war was over.

But I'm still wondering about that note in Scott, the stamps were valid while the sheet was not. Anybody????
  • edited July 15 0 LikesVote Down
    That was weird. I just watched a show about the Nazi's executioner, and they had a bit on Sophie Scholl with pics and the controversy over her beheading.

Her name, twice in 24 hours, two completely different vectors. I hope she can rest.

Thanks for the post.

(Forbidden History, Johan Reichart(?))
  • The sheet was valid for postage. It just wasn't used very often. In the fact the foot note says this

"The stamps were valid, the sheet was not, though widely used. Values mint $6, used $11. "
  • Unless this is opposite day, the note clearly states, "the sheet was not [valid for postage]." Just because people used it, and postal workers accepted it, does not alter that fact.
    "Used but uncancelled stamps are not valid for reuse as postage, though, the practice is widespread."
    ergo
    The reuse of used but uncancelled stamps is valid?
  • edited July 16 0 LikesVote Down
    I guess it's all in how you read your commas.

Cue Greg.

But seriously, the Colnect reference on the sheet says the same. It does say that some were used in Brunswick anyway, and that use of the sheet was tolerated. At least I have a value reference now.

But the question remains: why? Why would a postal authority establish such a policy, what was it intended to do, and how could it be enforced? And for me it is a logic pretzel: how can a small sheet of postally valid stamps not be postally valid itself?
  • My mistake. Basically according to Michel there were people who wanted to use it as a franking when it was issued. They gave in to it and some were used. According to Michel 2009 if you can find it used on cover they list it at 75 Euros. FDCS are listed at 100 Euros and an FDC with a Berlin Cancel they list it at 500 euros.