Can you say, “counterfeit?”

edited October 2021 in Chatter 0 LikesVote Down
Funny they would also label them outright, “Hot Products.”
https://www.forosprogramacion.com/
33F89319-951C-46FD-A2C2-F06CEEB9E097

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited October 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    Wow! this needs a call to the USPS postal inspectors? fact is.. these would most likely pass right through the mails. :-)
  • I think Ted has found Louie DeJoy's pension fund
  • Jerry,
    I think you don't give the USPS enough credit... they have MANY ways (even via automation) to detect fraudulent stamps in the system. If you tried to use these, you'd more likely have someone knocking on your door...
  • Just checked in the 2022 edition of the USA Specialized Catalogue. These issues are not cataloged as of the printing of this catalog edition.

Many of the more recent issues that have been counterfeited have many different varieties. Scott #5260 (2018 flag definitive issue) has 41 different varieties listed. Counterfeit issues were very infrequent until about 2006, then they really proliferated.

Although no pricing is given for designs counterfeited in the last few years, starting with issues in 2017, there are some issues priced both in mint, used and on cover. Mint pricing starts are about $3.50 each for the most recent issues. On cover prices start at about $25.00.

Most of the recent counterfeits, of which there are many, are all not tagged. This would probably result in the envelope being rejected by the automated sorting equipment, with a close examination of the stamp then showing it to be counterfeit. It all comes down to whether the Postal Service will take the time to chase down the source of these fraudulent stamps. Most appear to come from East Asia, so the actual producer will be beyond the reach of US authorities. If these fraudulent stamps are shipped to buyers from a source outside the country, with the sales occurring online through sellers also located outside the US, there is really no way to stop their shipment into the US. I doubt the postal authorities would chase after each individual purchaser as that would take too much effort.
  • Richard,
    Yes, tagging is the main method of filtering these out first.
    They also have a very sophisticated image recognition system that will pull questionable items out as well. It's not so easy to "trick" the USPS anymore.

Incidentally, I have one of the more interesting early counterfeits, the C15(CF1). What's interesting as well about this one is the CV for the counterfeit is worth more than a VF C15. :)