How to deal with customers refusing to pay.

Does Hipstamp have a place to ban potential customers from buying? Have had persistent customers not paying, even after repeated messages to them that payment is due. All answers gladly read, thank you, John

Comments

• 46 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No, there's no way of block miscreants on this site. There are several threads on this very topic, with the vast majority of members being in favor of it, but it all falls on management's deaf ears.
  • Hi George,
    Thank you for your reply.
    If Hipstamp is reading this, please do something, remember we are your bread and butter, and it does not do you any credit to ignore us. John
  • Does this apply only to auction customers, or are there other problems?
  • If it is not an auction customer, it could only be a customer who was approved for Pay Later, in which case the solution would be to remove that customer from the Pay Later approved customer list.
  • Hi Phil,
    I only have auction items, so have no idea on others. Hip needs to do something to persistent offenders. John
  • Hi Ted,
    I have no customers on the "Pay later list". John
  • Ted,

It can also happen if you accept offers and the customer does not pay after you have accepted their offer.

John,

Hipstamp will deal with them if you are requesting your FVF's to be refunded for non-paying bidders.

• Thanks, Michael.
  • Hi Michael,
    Thanks for the answer, but excuse my ignorance, what is FVF's?
    John
  • edited May 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    FVF means final value fees. Those are the fees that you get charged by Hipstamp for your auction after it ends. IE Say your auction ends at $25 and your shipping is $2. You would get charged about $2.50 and that is what Hipstamp should refund for on a non-paying bidder. And Hipstamp is not going to want to keep dealing with customers that don't pay, because they don't really want to keep having to refund those fees on the same non-paying bidders over and over again.
  • Hi Michael,
    Thank you for the explanation, John
  • Good morning Gentlemen,

On another note I recently shipped an item to a buyer before I received payment which was my first mistake, I was shipping a bunch of items and in my shipping frenzy overlooked this one that was not paid for. So the amount is small only $3.25 but it is the point of the matter to me. So what do I do now I have sent 3 messages through HIP to the buyer but he is ignoring me. What is the protocol for advising other members to be wary of dealing with this person to avoid any financial losses on their part? I have already written this off and have learned my lesson well although at a small cost. Or should I just forget it and move on completely and obviously not deal with him again. Thanks for any advice you can give.
  • Just Eat trhe Loss and Never ever do it again. :-) I was a Jeweler most my life.. My first Ring creation I gave to buyer who promised to pay next day.. Great Lesson.. I remembered it my Whole Life.. LOL!! - he never paid. :-)
  • Yeah I know that's what I thought but just wondered of there was a protocol amongst the sellers here of what else to do. A very cheap lesson for me to be more careful in the future. Thanks for you input.
  • Unfortunately, HipStamp, unlike eBay, has no option for blocking bidders. I think the unwritten protocol is to message the non-payer and make it clear he or she is to no longer bid on/buy any of your listings. If they do, cancel their purchase(s)/bids and contact Support, who will then get involved.
    Additional options, depending on how far you want to go: dox the non-payer so all sellers can see who to watch out for, and (my favorite), contact APS to see if they're a member. If they are, report them to APS as a non-payer and he can either get suspended or expelled from the society if they continue to refuse to pay.
    I would still report to Support here: you may be able to get a refund on your FVF, and if he or she's been reported before, Support will deal with them appropriately.
    Devil's advocate: Depending on how long ago the "purchase" was made, is it possible the non-payer is on vacation (its that time of year)? Also, generally speaking, we're all older folks here, so is it possible he or she fell ill?
  • I generally wait 3 or 4 weeks - vacation, family emergency, hospitalization, a lot of things can happen. I sold a few things on a fairly regular basis to another dealer on here. He would buy things and add them to his purchases for a few weeks and then send a check - when he said he was sending a check and it didn't arrive after a couple of weeks I sent him a PM. He responded about a month later that he had been in the hospital and thought he would have to give up his store as one of his customers left him 130 odd negatives. Sad situation - patience is a virtue.
  • Well thanks for the advice I am not going to take this any further as it was a small amount and I will continue to contact the buyer to see if he is on vacation or perhaps ill. I do not like to be negative to anyone until I have exhausted all other options. I still find it hard to believe he would not pay this tiny amount so there is a good chance that there is another issue going on here.
  • Well I have a problem with a non paying bidder and I need to be able to block them.
    It's a buyer from California that has been buying auctions and refuses to pay.
    So far they have bought $40.00 worth of items and $20.00 has been pending for 4 days in resolutions.
    I already was refunded on the fees for $20.00 and left negative feedback.
    This is the 4th buyer this year that I have had a non-payer and I have left negative feedback on 3 of them.
    There needs to be a block bidder option on Hip-Stamp especially with the APS coming on board.
  • Why? Does the APS attract scofflaws?
  • Auctions can attract, in my opinion, some folks like that. That's why I don't do them. Not sure the APS thing will change anything like your issue other than to maybe have a few more eyes on the platform that might not have been here before. And I would expect that most APS members do not want to be kicked out of the Society for not paying for things they committed to buying. Happens every month it seems that someone gets kicked out for stuff like that. Having said all that, I'm not really opposed to a block bidder option, but it might be difficult to put in place and administer one it is.
  • Ted,

No I have been a member of APS for years and if these buyers were APS members they would be and for you to say that is a travesty.
    My PAS member number is 169743.
    I would have become a member before 1993 but I was not involved as much since I was taking care of my ex-wife and raising my 2 boys.
    Like Greg says it will attract more eyes and better buyers. I just do not want to have to deal with repeat non-payers and then have to wait a week or so before I can relist the items.

The whole thing is getting very old.
  • For those who do not pay......a solutiondownload-1
  • HAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!
  • Hipstamp does not support a "block bidders" capability/functionality. You have to keep your own list, and if a non-payer wins again, you cancel the order, and contact Hip for a refund on the sales, and then relist (if you want to relist it). We were a little surprised that there is no block bidder capability here, but we've been here over a year now, and our list of "blocked bidders" we have found, have never bought from us a second time after a canceled order...
  • My APS number starts with 119, I think its been 50 years.
  • Peter,

You should of had a certificate from APS stating that you are a 50 year member.

Kathi,

Yes it is very poor planning and another nuisance that wastes time and time is money.
  • YOU08/26/2022 00:13:56
    Gary
    I checked your stats they are perfect how come you are not answering me. I have done everything you have asked. You know I'm 75 years old and disabled as you well know-I'm on a fixed income and I use the money I make to purchase stamps from others. I believe I have given you one hell of a good deal, including the new customer bonus. Just give me my $89.20 back and we will call it even, I will wait for 72 hours before I try to resolve this another way. I have bent over backwards and now you don't reply nor respond. I'll pray for you this evening if this is the way you do business...how did you get such a perfect rating??? Very disappointed.
    Dapples1
    Re: YOUR ORDER08/26/2022 12:22:49
    Please contact PayPal for instructions on how to do a refund from my payment, and after I receive the refund in its proper form, I will refund your two payments to me.
    jlcstamps
    Re: YOUR ORDER, YOUR REPLY08/26/2022 19:48:29
    Well You did what I just thought you would do, You got $89.20 from me twice AND NOW YOUR ARE GOING TO KEEP IT..I DID NOT HAVE TO SEND THE PAYMENT TWICE -I DID SO TO ALLEVIATE YOU FROM GETTING A 1099 FROM PAYPAL. WELL GARY, I HAVE 4800 PLUS FOLLOWERS AND YOU CAN BELIEVE EVERY DAY FROM HERE OUT AND EVERY DAY WHERE I CAN TELL AS MANY OF THE PEOPLE ON EBAY, ESTY AND FACEBOOK, AMAZON, LET THEM KNOW YOU ARE A LOW LIFE THIEF...IN A SHEEPS SKIN, I DID FOLLOW HIP REFUND POLICY AND REFUNDED YOU $89.20, I REMEMBER AND I HAVE IN WRITING FROM YOU WHERE YOU ASKED ME IF- I COULD SEND ANOTHER $89.20 TO YOU WHICH YOU WOULD IMMEDIATRELY SEND BACK TO ME, YOU SAID YOU "didn't want to be nick-picking" BUTG YOU DID NOT WANT PAY PAL SENDING YOU A 1099 and they charged you $2.48 for this order. I DON'T THINK PEOPLE WILL BE SELLING OR BUYING TO YOU-AFTER THEY FIND OUT HOW YOU SWINDLED A 75 YEAR OLD DISABLED VETERAN, BECAUSE I WILL SEND ALL THE MESSAGES BETWEEN YOU AND ME AND WE WILL LET THE PUBLIC DECIDE. SO I HEREBY FORMALLY LET YOU KNOW WILL I FILE A DISPUTE WITH HIP STAMPS AND PAYPAL. WHEN EVERYONE SEE'S WHERE I ADMITTED TO YOU, MAKING A HONEST MISTAKE AND WOULD HONOR YOUR REQUESTS TO CORRECT IT, AND DID ACTUALLY AS YOU REQUESTED, ONLY TO SWINDLED OUT OF $89.20. YOU DID ACCEPT ONE OFFER OF ASKING FOR BIRDS IN WINTER, WHICH I HAVE MAILED, TO YOU. THIS COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED IF YOU HAD JUST SENT MY $89.20 BACK, BUT NOW YOU WANT ME TO GO TO PAYPAL FOR A REFUND...I ONLY WISHED I LIVED IN INDIANA, EVEN WITH MY DISABIPITIES I WOULD VISIT YOU. REST ASSURED IN A COUPLE OF HOURS ALL THESE MESSAGES BETWEEN Y0U AND ME WILL BE HITTING FACEBOOK, INCLUDING YOUR LOCAL NEWS OUTLETS SO THEY WILL KNOW WHO LIVES AMONG THEM.
  • Sale Transaction - Invoice ID: #3924851
    Invoice #3924851 from 08/17/2022 - Buyer: Dapples1 (74)
    (6 Items) View on PayPal: 7FY68291FC734980S
  • edited August 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    "Birds in winter?" Ok, I must have been out too long during intermission, I don't know what's the hell is going on now. I'll be back with popcorn and a coke...