All right! APS sellers are now at the top of the category! Just checked Persia-how awesome!

Let the games begin!!

Comments

• 48 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Well, they are not at the "Top-top", but they are right up there.
    Just had a look and WOW! This is a VERY smart move by APS and Hipstamp both. This is very well done. And has opened up so far over quarter million offerings. Brilliant!

Just goes to show that philately is not dead, it's jut moved somewhere else. (I think a copy of Who Moved my Cheese should be given out to every dealer doing shows...)
  • Scott, you know that book?!? It is an awesome little book, well worth the read and very good life lesson.
  • How does it become known that you are an APS member?
  • APS member or APS dealer member ??
  • Luree... you should know by now I'm full of mysteries.
  • edited December 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    Henry, dealer members
    However, from what I've read, APS badging of the individual stores of APS dealers is still in the future.
  • It will be interesting to see how sales go with the $5 flat S/H fee when customers are complaining about a much lesser fee. Looked at an item that was priced at $2 plus change and $5 flat rate to ship (they use first class parcel or priority only). It would certainly simplify things as at least our PO is trying to define the stiffness of items to see if they can go non-machinable for a small surcharge or, if "too stiff", it becomes a parcel even if under 1/4 inch thick. It depends on which window clerk you get...
  • Interesting. Japan PO defines a parcel if it gest over 1/2" thick.
    Under that, you can still send it as a letter.
  • I still don't quite get this (what a shock!). So, if you an APS member you get a priority listing here? How does HS know if you are an APS member? What is this $5 minimum postage thing all about?
  • John,
    APS have had a web based sales presence for a long time. Essentially, those listings from the APS site are now "linked" to Hipstamp, (Kind of like the old eBay sync, except since both sides are cooperating, it works). So APS member dealers can list on the APS web site (as they manage all the sales, they pay the dealers, send the items, etc). So those members still list on APS site, but they appear here too. It gives them two venues to reach collectors, dealers and weirdos.
    APS members and/or member dealers don't list directly on Hipstamp.
    There is a plan in place to later recognize APS member dealers on the site with a badge, but that is more a "trust" issue for people buying directly from APS members. (We list our APS and ASDA and IPDA membership numbers in our profile).
    It's about "buying with confidence". Anything bought from the APS store is guaranteed by APS.
  • To clarify a bit, the move of the APS StampStore was a one way deal as I understood it. APS will no longer host their StampStore themselves. It is a massive cost savings for the APS as they no longer have to host their own store. Rather, their StampStore simply became another store hosted by HipStamp. The same criteria applies for listing in the new APS Store as it did for the old StampStore. You must be an APS member (not necessarily a DEALER member) to list items in the APS Store. The new APS Store acts as simply another store that is hosted by HipStamp just like anyone else's. They have their own policies on place and their own shipping costs, etc. I am still not clear on what the proposed APS "badging" will mean. Will it designate a store run by any APS member or will it be limited to APS Dealer Members? There is a big difference between the two.
  • Got it....much clearer. Thanks Scott and Greg!
  • Ah, I didn't realize they were closing their website as well, but the rational behind it certainly makes sense.
    In any case, I think it's great they are here, and they are "behaving" like any other paying member, unlike some of the ridiculous preferential treatment that is being given to "dealers" who are just seeking to exploit a certain status that is undeserved.
  • As I understand it from the most recent issue of the American Philatelist, anyone who is a member in good standing of the APS will be given the opportunity to display the badge on their store's webpages.
    The article also mentioned that this won't be happening over night, but it will be gotten to right after any bugs in the transfer of listings have been fixed.
    I believe this to be a positive move for all the parties involved. I just wish the APS would have taken a bit more care in their images. So many are off the horizontal, quite a few by alot...
    That may be true. With the prior APS StampStore, one could not list anything unless they were an ASP member and that remains the case with the APS HipStamp store. All good there. I'm not sure that prior to the StampStore move to HipStamp that one who was a member of APS was prohibited from displaying the APS logo on their own store. But again, simply being a regular member of APS does not obligate that member to adhere to any set code of ethics when it comes to selling. That is where the Dealer Membership level kicks in with APS. A different thing altogether. Nothing here at all against regular APS membership here but that really just says that I am a member like the 22,000 plus other members are.
    George, I also think that this is a positive move. When this was originally announced I was concerned bout the lack of transparency with the membership. I sent Scott English an email and after a couple of back and forths I understood why it was necessary. I've been involved as an insider in a couple of corporate buyouts and only so much information can be divulged. I think the little hiccups will disappear - kind of reminds me of when we switched back to the new Hipstamp site from the SG debacle - all was not roses.
    Greg - are you sure that regular APS members aren't obligated to a code of ethics. They do (or perhaps did?) expel members for various conduct - do they not do that anymore? Still a member but look at the deceased members - not for the expulsions.
    One of the things I like is that it appears to be less of a "good old boys" club than existed 30 or 40 years ago - or am I delusional from a lack of involvement?

• Henry, yes...regular membership in APS does obligate one to a certain level of ethical standards. I never said that regular membership does not carry obligatory ethical standards. There are many documented cases of regular members being reprimanded or even expelled from regular membership (most often it seems for not fulfilling a financial obligation, i.e not paying for something they bought or ordered). I am simply differentiating between those standards and the enhanced standards of the Dealer Member of APS. They are different and two different types of memberships.
  • Gotcha, if I recall the wording was "conduct unbecoming a member" or some such thing.
  • Yessir, you got it.
  • edited December 2022 2 LikesVote Down
    We're glad to finally be on the HipStamp site. I've gotten some very nice notes from folks who've enjoyed purchasing through Hip. We are still working out a bug here or there, but we will add some functions and features in the weeks and months ahead.

My highest priority is to sort out shipping. We default to a flat rate right now to track all shipped items. We send thousands of items though the mail weekly between internet and circuit sales and expertizing. The stories I have from the last three months alone would make your hair curl.

We're also working with the Hip team to add the APEX option at the time of purchase so items can be expertized before shipping. I'd like to thank Mark and his team for being responsive and supportive during the transition. That team is also working on the badging system. I also just hired a new Director of Product Development who will assist on our end with the technology-heavy lifts. He is our first full-time staff member dedicated to web and application services.

We hear the comments about the imaging, and we will address that through some processes and training. For StampStore sellers, we'll redesign the submission sheets for the Hip environment to better serve the customers.

To all our APS members, thank you for your support and great input. If you're not an APS member, please consider joining today. We have a great offer for new members through the end of the month. Save $13 by using promo code cheer22. We've welcomed nearly 130 new members so far this month. Visit our website at www.stamps.org.

Scott
  • Greg -

From the APS website / Code of Ethics:
    https://stamps.org/business-finance/rules-and-regulations

"I agree not knowingly to sell, trade, produce, or advertise repaired, altered, or otherwise modified philatelic items unless that condition is clearly stated. I further agree not to sell, produce, or advertise counterfeit material in any form, in violation of any law."

"eBay worked with the APS to develop a Code of Conduct for selling philatelic material on eBay. This Code of Conduct has been drawn from the Philatelic Code of Ethics, the Standing Resolutions of the American Philatelic Society, and specific terms of sale which are considered "general trade practice" within the organized philatelic community. It neither replaces nor supplants eBay's general seller rules and regulations, but rather supplements those rules. Sellers are encouraged to abide by these guidelines when selling items on eBay. Failure to do so could result in disciplinary action by eBay and possible suspension or loss of selling privileges.

I agree not knowingly to sell, trade, produce, or advertise repaired, reperforated, regummed, altered, or otherwise modified philatelic items unless that condition is clearly stated. I further agree that forged stamps, fakes, facsimiles, and reproductions are allowed to be sold provided:

1) their sale does not violate applicable laws or copyrights,
    2) the item is clearly and indelibly marked as a forgery, fake, facsimile or reproduction on the front or back, and
    3) the seller's listing clearly states that the item is a forgery, fake, reproduction, or facsimile and includes an image of the marking.

I agree not knowingly to participate in any way in the advertisement, sale or trade of any philatelic material using any deceptive practices including, but not limited to, false or misleading claims of sales scarcity, value, condition or investment potential.

I agree not to sell philatelic items of which the ownership is questionable.

I agree to promptly refund the purchase price for any item which has been deemed by any expertizer approved by eBay as other than as offered or described by the seller.

I agree that the term "As Is" or similar language may be used only to describe condition. It can never be used to comment on authenticity or to excuse a misdescribed item. Furthermore, I agree to use the term "As Is" or similar language only after having described all known faults including those not evident in the picture of my items.

I agree to abide by all laws relating to philatelic matters. Report a fake or incorrectly described item on eBay."

This seems to cover pretty much everything. If dealer-members have an enhanced set of rules, I'd dearly like to see them. Do you know where they could be found? I've had no luck searching.
  • All I've been able to find is:
    "Qualifications:
    Must be an APS member.

Age 21 or older.

Earn a living in whole or in part through selling stamps and philatelic items.

Must have been engaged in the stamp business for two years.

Provide Sales Tax or Resale Number (Outside U.S. provide VAT Number) and submit a copy of your Resale License.

Have a good credit standing and sound commercial reputation.

Abide by APS Code of Ethics (same code all members abide by)."
  • No problem with any of that with one comment. "eBay worked with the APS to develop a Code of Conduct for selling philatelic material on eBay". eBay is one of the worst offenders, IMO, of upholding any reasonable standards for selling anything. Yes there are great sellers on that platform but there are a lot of folks who, philatelically, leave a lot to be desired to put it nicely. Thank you for posting this. It is actually quite helpful and give Mouse a good skritchy skratch for his help too.
    a
  • edited December 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    The problem with the eBay statement is, it was developed a LONG time ago, when I was still active in their fraud detection program. (There were a few US Experts including Bill Weiss, myself and a couple of others, and then a group of global experts who would regularly review offerings on eBay, we had a method of flagging items and reporting them to eBay who would then make a decision to remove or not remove. In those days, they were very receptive, and we had thousands of bogus listings pulled, as well as successfully contributing to the arrest and conviction of one fraudster who bilked millions from the unsuspecting). However, those days are long gone. eBay terminated the program around 2014 "replacing us with an AI". Yeah, look how well that is working. I'm huge fan of AI, but their system has failed them, and there is no longer any way to keep them in check, and just looking at that code and seeing the plethora of 25c to valueless stamps being offered as "EXTREMELY RARE" (thanks Michael Dodd for the recent fun listings on that one) for anywhere from $1,150 to $25,000. Just go search US Stamps, then set the view price high to low, and you'll just see (wait, I did it for you... just this ONE dealer is responsible for several of the top listings. He's got an 87.5% feedback... https://www.ebay.com/usr/emanuel-27-07?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559).

They are long past caring. Personally, I think eBay are headed for a class action lawsuit, if not being shut down by the US Government for fraud at least in this area. They can keep selling T-Shirts and ash trays, but collectables (especially those of high values over $500) they should be shut down, or clean up their mess. It's ridiculous.

I'd usually say here "End of Rant" but it probably isn't. :)
  • Henry, our posts were being created simultaneously, and yours didn't appear for me until after mine hit.
    I will add, that was the first program. (And your eBay ID didn't have to be your name when it started, but most people did it that way).
    That program turned into the Fraud Prevention program that I mentioned in the previous post. That then was replaced by the supposed "AI system" which I think meant "Always Ignore". Because that has become their policy.
  • Scott - yes, your post was more complete and correct than mine which was as an observer - I deleted to let only the first hand knowledge remain to avoid confusion. These threads get too long and people lose interest.

• Yeah, and I tend to be, what's the word -- wordy. :)
  • Based on painful early experience on eBay, when I decided to start again collecting stamps, eBay was, at best, a series of costly disappointments. Frankly, were it not Hipstamp, my re-start in philatelic interests would have been short-lived. Moreover, from Hipstamp, I have discovered not only Hipstamp but also other professional internet sites, dealers, and auctions. I consider myself lucky.

On another note, my Best Wishes to you and yours for the Holidays and the Coming New Year---

Berrien
  • Here's another great example:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/151707677229?hash=item23527b722d:g:hDAAAOSwZd1VdZlA

This is a legitimate 1894c and while it is a full sheet (which Scott doesn't price), the individual value of a 1894c is $20. If you factor in 100 x $20 (total stamps on the page), that's $2,000. You could then argue "Yeah, but it's a multiple, and full sheet as well", which could add let's say a 40%, no let's go 60% premium. That's still only $3,200. Let's really go crazy, and say a bidding war ensued, and it went for 3x the amount... that's still only $6,000. The seller has a price of $125,000 listed for this. You have to ask "WHY"? No one will pay that without checking what the stamp actually is! You're not going to dupe anyone into believing it's worth that much. People can be stupid, they can be ignorant, they can even be ridiculously frivolous with their money. But this goes beyond any sound judgement, and it will never sell. Is it a "sensational" claim created to draw people their store? Maybe, but once you take a look at it, and how extreme the idea of this seller taking advantage of people (and no one ever feels good about being taken advantage of), then real buyers that might be interested in their other material will move on, thinking "If he's willing to rip me off this bad, what about the other items"?
    This is an eBay wide problem.
    My philosophy on this (and why we moved from there to here) is "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake". I feel that the majority of good dealers left eBay around or before the same time we did, and all they have left now are the tricksters, fraudsters and vultures who just want to prey on the unsuspecting... but most of that doesn't work, and certainly not once items get over around $2,000.