Junk Dealers will hurt Hipstamp

Comments

• I agree there is a line a stamp really is not worthy of listing. I have started listing stamps with minor faults, repairs, etc. I include this in the listing. I have listed some of these stamps as low as 2-5 cents. I realize that we do not make any profit and likely lose money on these listings. I have, however, sold many of this quality of stamp with larger orders that have netted a nice profit overall. I do have to decide if stamp is so bad that I consider it worthless but I believe everyone must decide that for themselves.
  • Coffee anyone?
  • Just finishing my coffee at 12:58 AM
  • Sorry, but I cringe when I list at 0.99 cents. It ain't worth the time to sell a stamp at ..02 cents hoping on a big order...As a seller I have certain costs.paper/envelops and postage.....wait wasn't it you that made me change from 10% up to 12-15%?
    Hahaha...Thanks
  • edited October 2016 4 LikesVote Down
    Well stated, Charles Hass. Not to mention the obvious that I think is more common than many seem to want to admit:

Many buyers would gladly pay $25 for a CV $350 stamp with faults. It's actually quite common and I'm not sure why it's hard to understand. Collectors come in all shapes and sizes and colors and perfs - not all are looking to pay $350 for a CV $350 stamp. It in no way reflects on the image or integrity of HipStamp. If anything it makes it more inclusive to all and not so uptight and privileged. (NOT saying that the one shown was worth $25 - don't get me wrong)
  • Charlie you are a gem!
  • Kurt, also well stated. I have a few "space fillers" in my collection, taking the space of a stamp that would cost a years wages. And if I didn't want to look at the "junk" I'd just use the price filter.
  • I've got many of those junk stamps...listed for months on end on the FEE---er not mentioning them anymore, and no bites...So yes we are all different 'perfs'---but junk is junk...such an awesome topic!!!
  • Lee J. Coen --- Your syntax and the way you express yourself reminds me very much of an old StampWants member whose posts were always entertainingly offbeat and enjoyed by many of us.

He lived in Las Vegas, I think. His handle was something like OneEagleLover. Do you remember him, Kurt, Luree, Doug, Jeri, Ted ?
  • Good ol Eagle. I definitely recall him.
  • I remember Eagle. That memory brought a smile. Thanks for mentioning him.
  • Sold a fault stamp for 2 cents again with my last order. That's 3 in a row. I have never sold a 2-5 cent fault by itself. I also believe we all have operating costs. If I started having buyer's purchasing just faults l would definitely rethink things. So far it's paid off.
  • sorry-I don't live in Vegas, I was on bidstart-had ZERO interest in my stamps-yeah I know-signed up in alamagordo, nm--where a vast majority of my up for sales came from--zero interest again(I know it's because I don't ship overseas) And I have signed up once again(anyone here the saying 'three times a charm'???) AND--I am hoping that us sellers of stamps can make this new site better then the other options. I was on Delcampe, too many hassels. I was on the Fee-not mentioning their name anymore, to many fees--
    I believe that dealers will help this site grow, and as far as junk-it is what it is- I do my best to not list junk--if your not happy, send it back I'll refund your money. I don't have 150,000 stamps listed. We all, I hope, do this for fun and enjoyment of the hobby..yes we need to make a profit-but in the end, I'm sorry, I still like stamps---
  • Sure do remember "Ein Eagle". So sad the pics from the old website of TM's travels are wiped out.... If I knew Mark was going to wipe them, I would have tried to download and save them. :-(

Regarding "junk stamps", I'm of the side that there are markets for them, so although not suitable for everyone, it's ok to purvey them so long as they are priced accordingly. And if you don't like seeing the very low value ones, there's always the minimum price filter available when browsing stamps. Although not a perfect solution, it helps reduce the numbers.

Another suggestion would be to require the term "spacefiller" be used in the descriptions when they are exactly that. Then potential buyers you can add "-spacefiller" to the searches if they don't want to see them. Likewise, those seeking them out can find their cheap copies easily that way, too. Guidance can be posted as to what would, at a minimum, constitute a "spacefiller", such as any tears, thins, pulled perfs, yadda yadda yadda. Either that, or maybe Mark can add a category that can be queried by, including options like "No known faults"; "minor faults", and "spacefiller" or some other agreeable set of not-too-complicated categories. Guidance can be provided as to what constitutes each type of category, perhaps with pictures.I think if I seller is responsible to note any faults, they should be in the position to classify their items without too much difficulty.

Just some musings...
  • I agree with you Doug. I use a legend listing my abbreviations and use SF-space filler in my title line. I also list the reason(s). Thin, repair, pin holes, etc. My daughter collects topical stamps and I will pick up a stamp for her in a second if it has the right image. With the decline of stamp shows, where everyone has a selection of free stamps for the kids, I think cheap stamps even with faults help fill this vacuum that has been created. I usually find stamps for my own collection and end up spending way more than I planned to. It's all good.
  • edited October 2016 1 LikesVote Down
    Vincent- i so agree with the helping new collectors get started- what ever the age. :-) I also try to grade and place in the title itself any faults.

I try to have plenty of bulk lots of cinderella fiscal and revenue material priced at $4 a full page stock sheet with some better items included that i would never sell all of in my lifetime :-) so about 75_ stamps for $4 is a good price for cinderella material and it is an auction so often sells for over $10. This greatly helps to get people started that want something different and topical collectors love the lots too. Cinderellas, revenues, telegraphs are a great way to expand country collections without moving to $100+ stamps as your collections mature , also. Cinderellas also tend to greatly increase in value.. i would say 1000% in the past 20 years. my opinion and personal observation.

I feel it is sort of our duty to help new collectors as they (some) will mature their collections quickly and desire better material. Too many advanced collectors in stamps that need nothing except rare stamps in their collections. New collectors is where it is at for sales and having a great inventory helps
  • Looks like my friend Hamish has been getting stuck into the stamps again. I forbade him to nibble my postcard offerings. I'm very sorry for his destructive ways. If you see him, turn him in will ya? We've gotta get him off the perfs!

Mouse Corner
  • Stop the Perfidy Now!
  • Jerry..totally agree..New young collectors arent looking for a #C3a inverted Jenny. Most are looking to complete a page or section of their album..A few bucks for high cat value sure brings a smile to my face..
  • Are you all aware of the fact that the OP was talking about stamps that are ripped,torn or shredded and only have a MINIMUM cat value? He wasn't talking about high value space fillers.
  • Well sure. But each one shown in the example even has a specific stamp cancel or manuscript cancel. Maybe there's even some sort of minor engraving difference. It's just that every single stamp has some sort of value somehow. Whether it's somebody studying a specific aspect of it or even just the fun of collecting a bunch of really really old stamps to make an art project out of. One man's junk is another man's treasure and I just don't think that it overall drags down HipStamp in any way. It just adds diversity and diversity is always a good thing. Everybody out there is probably looking for something slightly different than everybody else out there.
  • People have a tendency to forget the other side of that when that collection is finally sold. If you sold those stamps are you going to want to buy them back? And if not why are you selling them in the first place?
  • But let's not forget to get beyond the buying and selling of stamps remember the reason we all originally got into this hobby which is simply the pure joy of collecting in the first place. It seems like the entire website is stronger if it's built around the core value of the fun and excitement of stamp collecting not just the dollars and cents.
  • edited November 2016 0 LikesVote Down
    I do think one of the great joys of collecting stamps is the history that is involved and to actually have something that was there during the historical period. the examples shown (horrible condition!) were from the American Civil war and were put on documents or even soldier photos as a tax. The Tax people started this thing called postal stamps. LOL It was such a great idea they kept this temporary Civil War funds going for almost 100 years. :-)

The French were great at getting in on this new idea as were the British :-) everyone else jumped in.. much later they used the idea to post letters.
    a French example from the 1600's not expensive or rare.: very early revenue stamp. Just imagine what 1600s France was like and to be able to own a piece of it for under $10

• Kurt said, " It seems like the entire website is stronger if it's built around the core value of the fun and excitement of stamp collecting not just the dollars and cents."

Hear! Hear! I agree completely!

I disagree with the title of this thread. Junk Dealers don't hurt HipStamp - they possibly only hurt themselves by creating a reputation of poor offerings.
    If junk is 'featured' then I believe that the websites reputation will be hurt.
    https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/1862-71-us-revenue-scott-r44-cerificate-red-part-perforated/10254190
    This item is presently a featured auction on the site home page.
    I find it amazing that people can be so ignorant of grading, description, stamp ID and pricing

this item has missed all the above points.. a total zero

at least if you are going to call it a part perf .. do what some other sellers do and cut the perfs off with scissors :-)
  • Charlie- interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing. kiddingly, I also begin to understand why your Nile Handbook has 860 pages ;-)
  • My 1c Washington's worth, I actually think that every stamp collector starts with cool interesting lower value stamps, so there is a need to spend some time selling or sharing the stamps to fill up the spaces. My grandfather was the first stamp dealer in Puerto Rico or rather he owned the first stamp shop there. I started collecting when I was in first grade and soon after became the store's little helper. He got hundreds of kids interested in stamps by selling packages and then single inexpensive stamps for them to fill a hole and a smile on their face, heck they didn't need money, they could help him fill stock books. If we don't all do something to expand stamp collecting. the art of stamps could die with the last one of us.
This discussion has been closed.