Scott International 1840-1940 Pages/Binders

Hello,
If I had all four sets of pages (1A1,1A2, 1B1, 1B2), how many binders would I need? Could I get by with two of the smaller Scott International binders or would I need three or four? Any ideas if the Jumbo binders are something to consider? What about including glassine interleaving? Would this greatly increase the number of binders needed? Thanks.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The small International Binder holds 300 pages. The large holds 400.

Part 1A1 has 292 pages
    Part 1A2 has 272 pages
    Part 1B1 has 276 pages
    Part 1B2 has 304 pages

I think you can get them all in 2 large binders.

Glassine Interleaving pages will add to the thickness of the pages. If you use mounts, then you don't need the glassine pages. I rarely see used albums with glassine pages added. It's up to you.
  • Well, thank you Michael. The final cost would be less than I anticipated. The glassine pages could always be something I could use in the future, if I felt they were really necessary. I've been thinking more and more of the 1840-1940 internationals. Even though I collect only certain countries, it does feel a bit overwhelming attempting to fill in the spaces. Especially after the 70s or so. I appreciate your response.

Regards,

Robert
  • edited January 2019 1 LikesVote Down
    Remember that the International Volume 1 is not complete, and is heavily abridged. There is a discussion thread about Volume 1 at Stamporama that is being compiled by one of the members regarding how many stamps it holds, etc. I don't know if the information I provided is also in that thread. I got the information from the Scott website.

(Stamporama is not a commercial selling site, so I don't think I violate any Forum policies by mentioning it.)
  • For a (better) alternative, look at the Brown Scott International Reproductions carried by Subway Stamps. They're pretty much complete 1840 to 1940 and have the advantage of being printed only on one side, so you don't have issues with stamps on facing pages getting hung up on one another. The downside is the much greater expense, but I switched from the Blue Internationals to these years ago and never looked back.
  • Another point is when you start filling in the spaces the thickness of the Albums will Increase to almost double. You will need more than two binders.
  • What seemed like a relatively simple decision, I now see has many facets. The brown series is a bit too expensive, although more inclusive, the need for interleaving is questionable and the lack of coverage appears to be a pretty big negative. I also considered Steiner pages, but there the coverage might be too much. I will have to weigh the pluses and minuses and then decide. Thank you all for your input. It was quite helpful.
  • The big advantage of the Steiner pages is that you only need to print the pages for which you have stamps. When I was still collecting the Steiner pages worked great for countries where I had only spotty coverage.
  • The method you use sounds good. To print all the Steiner pages from 1840 to 1940 would result in the need for so many binders. Your post gives me another way to look at the whole picture. Thanks
  • You can cut back on the number of Steiner pages (number of sheets of paper), if you print them front and back. I use 24 lb. paper to print Steiner pages (printed front and back - I even print a blank page to get the border when needed rather than having a totally blank side), which is about the same as the International pages.
  • Another good point! To print them all on one side would be too much. I must admit, I'm not too interested in thousands of watermark and perforation differeces. Printing on one side and printing only what one needs might be the way to go. I probably will do this or even though it has its' disadvantages, the Scott 1a1 through 1b2.