Sales on Hipstamp

How are members sales ?
The reason I ask is I have not had a sale since June. Not sure if this is because I have a basic Store or my listings are not what buyers are looking for, may be just bad luck!!
Would great full for your input.

Tony H

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I sell faster than I can list them. You need good prices. Of course you need to build up a client base. 75% of my sales are repeat customers.
    George.R.
  • How many listings do you have? Typically a store needs about 3,000+ to see any activity.
    Please provide a link to your store.
  • I have been on Histamp since September 2016 and now have over 9000 listings and over 2500 positive feedback.

I list stamps when I can, it is just me I am working on my next 1000 as time permits (need to catalog - scan - optimise)

It is just strange not to have a sale for over a month.

Thank you George and David

Tony H

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/world-stamps
  • Sales are fine, I get on average 3 sales a day consisting usually of a new customer "testing" me with a very small order, then the normal orders of 10 items with regulars ordering between 20 to 30 items. And I do get the odd order of 100 to 300 items which creates havoc...but I'm glad because I'm gradually closing shop. I still list new items once in awhile to keep my customers interested. In spite of this I went from 34,000 items to 30,000. And I don't give away my stock like some.
  • I try to list new items every day or so (the or so is when I put it off!). I can catalog, scan, crop and list about 100 a day if I am really energetic. That way my stock is always rolling over, Customers who visit me once in a while see new items whenever they visit and end up grabbing a couple of new items and some of the ones listed 3 or 4 years ago. That might help attract sales new and old rather that dumping 1000 all at once that just confuses.
  • Perhaps the reason for your slow sales is that you are located out of the US. The vast majority of my sales are from US residents who might shy away from sellers not listing prices in US dollars. I average nearly 10 sales per day and am finding it hard to keep up as many are for 40 to 125 items per order. I only average about .5 sales per week to non-US residents.
  • We're a non-US based seller. We're new here, but we've had 30+ feedback in our first month, and we've been slow the last two weeks because I've been ill and our administrator who does the majority of our listings and order processing is out for about a week as well with a new baby. I've been listing some this week from a new collection we acquired which is trickier than our usual material, because there is a lot of early stuff (1847 - 1900) and she isn't as familiar with IDing and pricing that stuff. But still, we've had bids and sales this week, and every week (if not every day) since we started. Our store only has around 500 items in it, the majority of that ported over from our eBay store that we closed in July. George has the key I think too: You have to be priced right for the material you have. (That doesn't mean you have to be cheap either... it's about desirable material, and what's being asked for it). I have seen a lot of delusional pricing on ordinary material in some of the sellers I've looked at here. While there are others that are reasonable and realistic.
  • edited August 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    You’ve done a great job with my “havoc” orders, Jacques. I think I even specified that there was no rush once or twice, and they were still in the mail a couple days later.
  • Anthony, just one buyer's opinion but I generally shy away from anything listed in pounds; other than very specific higher-end material. It generally means shipping is higher, which is hard for me as a buyer to justify for a $10-20 purchase which are the vast majority of what I buy. For a single stamp that I'm looking for (say a Cayman Islands Sc#20) won't mean much; but for the large majority of my purchases in the US being lower in cost, I can't justify the higher shipping.

I've also noticed that European sellers in general tend to be higher priced than US dealers, not just in shipping (which is justified having to ship overseas) but also in base price alone.

Totally anecdotal as I'm just one buyer; so take that for what it is worth.
  • edited August 2021 2 LikesVote Down
    Andy, seems to me to be rather intuitive that anything listed in pounds (as opposed to ounces) would suggest the shipping would be higher.
  • For a buyer living in the US, of course! :-)

I do wonder why European-based sellers do seem to want to command more a premium in base sales price though too.
  • That's the market, overseas. The major overseas catalogues -- SG and Michel -- have values that are much higher than Scott's, so retail prices are commensurately higher.
  • "I do wonder why European-based sellers do seem to want to command more a premium in base sales price though too."

I suspect its, at least in part, due to their use of Gibbons and Michel as points of reference, both of which tend to run higher than Scott, and also a question of supply and demand. For example, GB stamps (and, by association, British Commonwealth) command higher prices "at home" than do U.S. stamps, since demand tends to be higher at their country of origin due to a larger collector pool for those stamps over there.
  • Hi,I am in New Zealand & run auction only.I put up 20-30/week on Hip + relist for 1 week..If I sell 5-6 its a good week simply because of postage costs But I also sell on my local site & sell over 5-6 weeks 90% of what I list includes relists
    Reason is obviously postage costs & reputation which takes more than 1 or 2 years to get a good one,so to overseas sellers do not expect to get rich quick (if ever) as a customer base builds slowly so be patient .Hip is a good site,the bad ones I find are ebay& delcampe,was thinking about ebid but last time I tried there sold nothing.
  • This stamp I listed on 10-8-21 can any body give me Sc number and value.
    SG635 catv £5.00 list At 30% = £1.50

[img]https://seemystamps.com/images/2021/08/10/2011-SG635.jpg[/img]
  • Scott # 657 value $2.75 catalog. I would price it $1.50
    George
  • Ron, was referring to the currency; not the weight. :-)
  • Just toying with ya, Andy. Your intent was clear. People have suggested I get back to pursuing my laundry lint collection.
  • Ron, ounce for ounce, bellybutton lint is far more valuable.
  • innie or outie?
  • edited August 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    Outie lint is significantly rarer, and more valuable, than innie lint, since the particles are much more prone to falling off or being rubbed off by clothing.
    And to keep this post on topic, let me add that my sales on HipStamp of bellybutton lint stink.
  • And now for a more technical question: does the coriolis effect cause the bellybutton lint accumulation swirl to form in the reverse direction south of the equator? If so, I'll need to make provisions for collecting sub species. Thinkist this be s trivial concern? Well, know that bellybutton lint matters - BLM, I tell ya