Item misrepresented?

#360 Rosenberg

The first image is a stamp that is about to be auctioned off in about two hours. It is described as US #360, which is one of the rare bluish paper Washington & Franklin stamps. There are only about 78 known copies of the stamp and it catalogs for over $27,000 dollars. The current high bid for the stamp is $338.33. The scan, however, does not look in the slightest like bluish paper. Here is an authentic US #360 available from a different Hipstamp dealer:
US <a href=#360 Malack" title="US #360 Malack" />

It is being offered for $25,850, which is about what one would expect for this stamp.

The stamp being auctioned off is likely #334. There are several mint #334's available on Hipstamp, one for less than $10 and, on the high end, a couple over $100, depending of condition.

I wrote to the seller seven hours ago questioning the accuracy of the listing, but got no response nor any change in the listing. I reported the item to the Hipstamp Admin, though less than an hour ago, so it is not surprising that they have not yet responded.

I understand the so called "let the buyer beware" view of philatelic transactions, but I dislike seeing stamps misrepresented -- assuming that I am correct in my assessment. Whoever wins this item is either going to have gotten the bargain of the year (a few hundred dollars for a stamp worth over $25K) or will have vastly overpaid for what should be a roughly $40 stamp. There should be a way to get listing like this corrected before the auction comes to a close.

Comments

• 35 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • One of the problems posed by digital images. Anyone can make a copy of the top image and make it look like the bottom image in less than 30 seconds. This should be an interesting thread.
  • I have noticed this has happened several times before. I am wondering who is in charge of listing the stamps and making the identifications. I would think that a stamp of such high value and rarity would have been expertized. It also seemed odd to me that during those same auctions several very common stamps were listed with incorrect Scott catalog numbers. The color and
    denomination of stamps did not match up with Scott catalog numbers. And then it becomes very difficult to rely on the accuracy of any listings especially with no response from the seller?
  • If the stamp were indeed the rare bluish paper stamp, surely the seller would have highlighted that point in the stamp’s description. It was probably an honest error in attaching the Scott number. What’s more troubling is not correcting the listing when the error is pointed out.
  • Update: the item sold for $960.
  • The "winner" feedback is only 183. The feedback of the "big jump" was only 521. Could this be a case of the blind leading the blind or are we the blind ones for not bidding? If a problem exists, given the seller, I'm sure it would be corrected, but if the buyer thinks he made a great deal, then the question of its authenticity may never come up and the seller made a huge profit based on his honest mistake. Hopefully the seller will correct the error on his own based on your questioning. I'm sure we will never know.
  • How and/or why would anyone in the world would a seller market a stamp with only 78 known copies without a cert...much less several of them? And why would anyone in the world have any interest whatsoever in buying such an item without a cert? Rhetorical questions clearly. In fact, the first image Alvin posted doesn't even look like a typical 334. Image really looks brightened that what most even gem 334's would really look like.

Just another example of why it is so important to do business with quality, ethical dealers and maybe, possibly even more important for customers to be educated as to be aware of any "red flags" that may be present in an offering...especially in an online marketplace.
  • You can see who was selling the stamp and why there was no response.
  • Bill, I am not as familiar with the various sellers at Hipstamp as you apparently are. I do, of course, know who the seller was but don't have any special knowledge of him or his store. I'm not inviting further comment, just letting you know that your comment flies over my head.
  • Alvin, the seller often reads the forum and makes posts on it to clarify numerous concerns and/or comments relating to the site. It would be good, if he did so on this thread. I have purchased from him and have received refunds when errors were made. In fact, he provides a return mailing label, but that process slows the refund process by at least a week.

• John - just curious as you said you know seller - is this because you "looked" at stamp that was up for sale or is just my inability to find - I know Alvin didn't mention nor anybody for that matter
  • Steve, anyone can find the results of prior auctions, including the bidding history. Simply go to the bottom of the page and click on "Auction Events" which is located to the left of where you click to get into this Forum. Then select "closed auctions". This sale ended last night. Click on that sale. Then search for US 360.
  • Speaking of misrepresentation, I notice a lot of "prominent" sellers making scans that are clearly altered to be brighter or have saturation adjusted to look "brighter" or stronger color than I suspect they really are. Anybody else notice this? Doctoring of images in such a manner another form of misrepresentation? I think what I see is far beyond normal "variability". Just my observation.
  • Doug, I totally agree with you on the issue of deceptive scans. It is a problem for me because I am very much interested in different shades for certain stamps. I'm of the opinion that Scott, in its numbering system, gives too little importance to shades and too much to minor plate variations such as the recutting of plates for US#9-US#11 and to Type differences for various 1c and 2c stamps. To me, the difference between US #70 in red lilac vs. steel blue is far more interesting than a broken line in a frame for, say, #9. Anyway, it is almost impossible for a collector of shades to pursue this part of his hobby on-line because scans often don't accurately represent the actual stamp. Sometimes it is intentional doctoring of the scan; other times may represent poor scanners vs. better scanners. I dinged one seller, recently, with a "neutral" feedback because the scanned images of the six stamps were no where close to an accurate representation of the actual shades. I've purchased a slew of US #279B, which has seven shades identified in the Specialty Catalog, in the hopes of obtaining at least one of each, but many that looked to be a particular shade in the scan were actually a different shade altogether. Most sellers do not even attempt to identify which shade the particular stamp is, probably because they fear that the buyer will disagree with the seller's designation when the stamp arrives. Almost every offering of #279B is simply listed as "red" when, in actuality, they differ widely in shade.
  • Alvin,

Your commentary exemplifies and amplifies the importance of both the challenge of the online marketplace for philatelic material and the value of doing business with trusted and quality online dealers. It also points out the challenges of the dealers' efforts to provide quality images of items listed. Everything from poorly taken, out of focus, obliquely taken cell phone photos to high quality, professional scans. Shade varieties, catalog descriptions notwithstanding, can, as you well know, be quite subtle and online listings should rely on the experience and quality of descriptions by a given dealer, and in fact, many should have some expertization if there is any significant value difference between shades. Having said that, I'll go back to my original point, and a shameless plug for the efforts of the IPDA, it is critical for both the dealers and customers to, in an online marketplace, to have as much quality information as possible. This provides for the possibility of many satisfactory transactions and reduces the chances of disappointment. Lots of words but I hope you get my drift. (I think I may have used too many commas...but that's just me eh!). :smile:
  • You're absolutely right, Doug. And one dealer, in particular, is especially egregious, considering their relationship to this site.
  • Alvin,

That is because a number of dealers on here do not know what they are offering because they:

1: Do not care.
    2: Have people listing the item do not know anything about what they are listing.
    3: Sell the item hoping it will stick because they thing\k that most people are stupid.

Leaving a neutral response keep these people still listing and does not help at all. The problem is that when you send a high priced item out to get certified (like your example) it takes more then 45 days and you can not leave a negative. The stamp clearly was not a # 360 and it was also re-perforated on the right side which was clear in the photo.

I am going to say it now the seller of this stamp is the the company who owns this web site. By doing this the quality of this site goes down and it does no good for anyone else who sells on here.

I used to sell on eBay and did so for over 20 years. I quit because of managed payments and the way I have been in the business for over 45 years. I have been a member of APS for almost 30 years and if I sold something like this I would have been kicked out.
    This is totally unacceptable and like Greg said he has bought stamps from this seller and had to return a number of them which the seller made good immediately which is fine an dandy but how many more did not know what they were buying. Through the years I have run across many people who bought something and then later found out that what they bought was garbage.

It is a shame but it happens all the time. As the old axiom goes buyer beware.
  • Bill....amen. But It wasn't me who was buyer here. Maybe I missed something.. It is Friday night after all.
  • Greg,

Sorry it was John E. and it is Friday night. LoL
  • No worries...I have to protect my (tattered as it is is) reputation!!!! :smiley: 18008_m_v3
  • There is an easy test for this, and ANYONE selling a bluish paper stamp (without cert is really ok, though in this case where there are only 78 known examples, it's just a big red flag, especially if the dealer selling is not known for expertise in this issue).
    Simple contrast example will demonstrate the probability of the stamp being a bluish paper. Simply compare your "bluish paper" example to any known non-bluish paper FW stamp, by placing them face down on an ORANGE background. This creates a good contrast for this issue. Then compare the two, as in this example:
    Bluish Left

Where the bluish example is on the left.
    If you find a seller offering such a bluish paper stamp, ask them to post a contrast image such as this for proof of it's bluish content.

It is even better if they have one of same denomination (i.e. in this example, compare a 360 candidate with a 334, both perf 12, both 4c, both on double watermark paper, makes for a great comparison).

And therein lay another point, ask them to watermark it. If it's not double-line, it's not bluish paper.
  • It is nice to see some of the heavy hitters on this site chiming in to such a controversial issue. Thank you.
  • Because of all the doubt being fomented at this time, it appears that I will have to do something I don't wish to do. I will now have to take Scott's thorough guide to IDing FW's and review a number of my early purchases
  • I'm not as well versed as you gentle folk on US philately, so it's taken me a while to come up to speed. I just want to say that the other side of "Buyer beware" is "Don't be
    an idiot." Someone with $960 to spend on a stamp sight unseen should just know
    better. Is critical thinking dead in this era?
    Consider:
    1. To say there are 78 known examples is to say there are 78 certificates. Does this stamp have a certificate?
    2. To offer such a rarity with no fanfare is nonsensical. Did we read about this new discovery in Linn's? To offer it in an auction on hipstamp is just ludicrous.
    3. Everything about US 360 depends on the paper, yet the dealer did not offer a scan of the back of the stamp.
    4. And finally, did the buyer believe the dealer had offered the stamp by accident? Perhaps. Do dealers make such accidents? My fat white kazakis. Any dealer who would make such a mistake, or let the staff make such a mistake, would not have had an example of US 360.

Blame certainly rests with the dealer in this matter, but I'm not going to feel sorry for someone willing and able to drop a grand on a stamp without due and proper diligence. I know that's not the point, and I know he can get his money back. It's a shame that this dealer thinks so little of the stamp buying public, but we've been here before and the real shame is that each time he does it, he finds a sucker ready to oblige him.
  • Good commentary Phil. I wonder if we'll hear from either of the two parties involved lol
  • Well, while there is no doubt from need the stamp is misidentified, someone may have acquired it with the intent to get it certed, and failing cert, would seek a refund. On the scarce chance it isn't bogus (it is) they would score a rarity at such a bargain. Yes they should know better, but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that this is their intent.
  • Steve, (and anyone else interested) do you have the FW ID matrix? If not email me and I'll send it to you. Current version is 32.
  • That certainly may be the case and it also may be that there was a listing error. Either way or anyway, the image is clearly enhanced and with limited to no description and no scan of the back for a $40 item would raise red flags regardless. Hell, I try and scan the backs of items that are $2.00. Not that hard to do. I personally want the potential customer to know as much as possible about what they are contemplating spending their hard-earned money on. Why? One, because I want it to sell and two, I want the customer to be happy with their purchase...but I guess that's just me. I do wish I had $1000 laying around enough to take such a flier on something like this...I don't.
  • Scott, thank you so much. You have already sent it to me.

I might have mentioned this earlier, but this exact auction scenario occurred before for stamps that had a much higher catalog value than the 360 in question.
  • Steve one of the most common mistakes is in the 2c type V versus Va.
    But any coils should be looked upon with great suspicion especial if their CV for used is greater than MNH.

And then, single line watermarks v no watermark is another common oversight.
    Just take your time.
  • The existence of fools in no way justifies grifters. Not even greedy fools. Murderous fools, as in the old classic "The Sting" -- yes, they deserve to be grifted, but you'll need to make sure the grift sticks. Furthermore, none of us are so clever as to be totally invulnerable to an especially sophisticated con. A fool may be more easily conned, but any of us can be taken by an especially clever con. A site that harbors and condones grifts is dangerous for buyers. A few of the above posts come uncomfortably close to rationalizing a laissez faire approach to the grifters: suggestions that the buyer was looking for a steal, the buyer was being greedy, the buyer was no novice, or the old saw, "let the buyer beware" are rationalizations of the same general kind that have been used, over the years, for all kinds of immoral activities, including slavery. Letting the grifters go about their business reveals a lack of integrity in the Hipstamp administration -- but, I'll acknowledge they're not alone in that respect. Here's an item being offered on ebay (and there are many others like it): Rare vintage 1c stamp

Not even a catalog number. Just a vague reference to the stamp being rare and vintage when, in fact, it's a run-of-the-mill near-worthless item. Grifting is disgusting and no less so if the victim happens to be a fool or senile or old or needy.