HipStamp vs. Ebay -- a buyer's perspective

13»

Comments

• I agree that HipStamp's response is not very useful. I would continue to work directly with the seller and ask if he mailed your stamp today as promised. Both HipStamp and PayPal would have already charged the seller their fees on this sale. PayPal has already collected it. Collection by HipStamp of their fee will take place on the 1st, but that is of no concern to you. I also wouldn't worry about the seller violating any rules. You just want your stamp.
  • Alvin,
    The seller could be correct. I disabled my store (about 2-3 yrs. ago) for approx. 6 months. About 3 months after my store was disabled I had a stamp sell. I contacted HipStamp about this issue and was told that they would review the situation - I was never given a reason. Luckily I still had the stamp and was able to send to the buyer.
  • Thanks, Larry. According to the Hipstamp Admin, the seller in question deactivated his account on 2/26, which was 17 days after the item was purchased by me, so it is unlikely that he would not have received notification before closing his store. My two queries to him were also before 2/26.
  • Alvin, just curious. Did he follow up on his promise to send your stamp by Priority Mail?
  • Yes. I have a tracking number for it but no stamp yet. The tracking info gives the "guaranteed delivery date and time" as no later than 6:00 PM tonight, which is four minutes from now, but the last tracking location listed is New Orleans and I'm in Rhode Island! I'm expecting The Flash to show up to my door any second now!
  • edited March 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    Jacques Famery - From my experience, you go above and beyond what other dealers do in terms of communication. I've ordered from you a half dozen times and always get a quick response and a photo of the outgoing envelope(s).

I think there has only ever been an issue with one stamp. When you were pulling the stamps for my order, you realized that you didn't have it. You were quite apologetic and quick to refund the cost of that stamp. I believe it was approximately thirty cents, and I doubt I would have noticed the missing stamp.

Most dealers I've bought from are good, but you're a step above.

thanks!
  • Scott Kramer - Thank you! I love free advertising! :blush:

• Well done Jacques!
    Are you an IPDA member?
    Exactly the kind of seller IPDA is looking for.
    (Note, I'm an IPDA member, but I'm not in any position with the group, I just really think it would be great to have dealers like you there.)
  • Scott Thank you for the mention of the IPDA yes we welcome quality dealers full or part time. easy to find us on the internet IPDAstamps dot com but what is really important is that we are an Association of quality dealers and stamp sellers who care about the collectors and want to promote quality sellers to collectors ..

Having read a few threads here tonight .......... what more can I say ..........we want collectors to have a good experience and to get stamps that are correctly described, well presented with clear and honest images, fairly priced, packed securely and safely and with good communication between collector and seller. Is that too much to ask? Of course not So if you qualify?? ......... apply to join us and support this wonderful hobby. and if you are looking to buy............. check to see if the seller is an IPDA member. have a philatelic weekend everyone ......
    Michael IPDA General Secretary
  • Let me pile on, Jacques, and second the previous sentiments, vis a vis the IPDA. I am a member as is Bentley's boy, Greg Doll. We'd love to see you join the ranks.
  • For those who followed the case of the seller who claims to have not been notified of the transaction by Hipstamp, after a variety of problems, the item arrived safely today. Hallelujah!
    Still waiting on my 9 lots. or even a reply to my polite emails :-) not really going to happen at this point with 9 polite negatives i gave him and paypal refunded because he failed to even reply to them. he seems to be selling so he is running his shop. if Paypal gets ticked at him he will find himself without an account there, soon enough. with 46,000+ feedbacks he has a 99.1%+ and that is with all the free HS given fake feedbacks! so in reality much lower? oh and he has left 6 total feedbacks in return to the 46,000 buyers items. he would be kicked off of Ebay.. maybe he was? if Paypal gets ticked at a SITE for having a lot of sellers refuse to reply to them or the purchaser- and high refunds volume.. it could be bad for all. Just saying, HS management should consider the bigger picture of what could happen when they refuse to police their sellers.
  • edited March 2022 3 LikesVote Down
    At HipStamp, we have a dedicated Trust & Safety team that proactively monitors Seller activity every day, including weekends, and takes appropriate action when Sellers are not following our terms and conditions, and/or not meeting their responsibilities as a Seller, including failure to ship items in a timely fashion, and/or based on feedback and resolutions/refunds.

As a few members already here noted, if you ever need any help with a specific transaction, please reach out to our Support team.
    Thanks Mark, good to see you here. I did send a request in to the help line at HS. the reply i got was a cut and paste nothing reply. not complaining on the staff here but this seller needs to be informed to treat buyers with common respect that we deserve. that includes shipping out what was purchased in a timely manner, replying to a request to see why items were not shipped. refunding promptly with the reason or not. not making buyers seek Paypal assistance. if any questions please look at the polite messages sent to the seller by me, and look at his failure to reply.
    To add , i had a purchase issue with a seller here on a larger $ sales recently. Fantastic Seller!! he resolved everything and even called me. :-) He has a buyer for life! totally professional. so just saying, its not the problems as we all have them but how we handle the problems that come up.
  • I purchased a stamp on 3/3/22, which I have not received. There was no indication that it was shipped (but that happens for about 30% of all my transactions on Hipstamp). I sent the seller two inquiries via the Hipstamp message system but received no response. I then initiated a request for refund via PayPal, which gave me the seller's direct e-mail address, suggested I contact him and if, by April 14th, I have not heard from him, they'll initiate a refund. I wrote to the seller via his personal email address and received no response. So, in short, I will need to wait a total of six weeks between the purchase date and when I will be eligible for a refund, despite writing to the seller repeatedly without response. I could order the stamp from another seller, but then I might end up with two if the first seller finally responds after, say, five weeks, so I'm stuck with not being able to proceed with my collection goals for a rather extended period of time.
  • Alvin, with understanding of your frustration, PayPal is just the payment processor. I would suggest that you contact HipStamp support with this issue as they actually have the ability to enforce seller policies as the site host of the seller's store. They would likely have much more insight into the seller's store situation than PayPal would. Nobody on this forum would be able to do anything other than note your posted issue.