Has anyone used stamp identifier it’s an app

This app takes photos and helps if stamps the. It links you to COLNET. and EBay? Lots of ads if you don’t subscribe? I did not subscribe? Anyone have feedback?
8CC06158-1DF0-4BC2-B839-CE5C84063CC6

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Shawn,
    I would suggest don't waste the money.
    If you're using Chrome browser, right click on any image and then select "Search image with Google". Or in Edge select "Search the web for image".

This is free, and in my experience, finds more images than any of the "dedicated" stamp searches.
  • Scott, use it daily to get year and country all tje time...works great...dont think I pay a dime for it...works 95% of the time..
    Lee
  • edited December 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    Same here. It’s not a waste of time at all. On the contrary, it has saved much time with its quick convenience. The thing with Google image search is that even if it finds a matching image, that image, or the page it’s on, won’t necessarily identify the stamp. It could just as well lead you to a Pinterest image that says nothing more than, “Cute little bunny on a postage stamp.”
    Stamp Identifier will not only give you the Scott Catalogue number, but the Michel, Gibbons, YT, and other catalogue numbers as well, and take you to the Colnect page where you can find other information such as issue date, perforation, printing method. It also gives you the name of the issue, and in the search results, shows other stamps in the same series.
    Colnect is a very handy and useful tool.
  • As long as an issue is relatively distinct that may be true. But if you're addressing things like FWs or LBNs that can only be IDd by close examination, this isn't going to help. And while I don't want to speak for Shawn, he's been asking a lot of questions around FW ID... I'd hate to think that you'd spend $5 a month for an add-free experience to try and ID complex stamp varieties that rely on subtle marks, paper types or ink shades. There's no way this tool will do that.
    And Google image search can????
  • It’s not worth paying for the camera function. Doesn’t work well on an i phone and it works fine for country date and it tells you if there are variants and how many there are and some details
  • No, never said it could. My point is that it's right there, and 90%ish of the time, if finds a match somewhere on the internet. Are those sometimes from eBay and unhelpful, sure. But you don't have to put up with extra ads (I'm a hater of ads, and just ad-block everything in a browser). For "generally unique" images, it does what I want/need now that said, this is another one of those reasons I don't do "world-wide". While the US material is extensive, it's also well documented, even for obscure things like labels. But for difficult ID's, there is NO app that can do them.
  • I agree with Scott on trying to ID types this is not what you want to use for that but for a novice collector it is probably very helpful except it does not
    Shawn, it works commendably well on my iphone. And you don’t have to pay for the camera function. For that matter you don’t even need the app’s camera function. It works better to take the pictures with the phone.
  • It works fairly good, BUT it has several errors in numbers and / or years.
  • Every listing has a button to contact them with comments and corrections.