Strange U40 Cut Square (Please Help)

I am really new to stamps. I inherited a few thousand from my Grandpa and am slowly going thru them. This one puzzles me and I would really appreciate some clarity. I believe it to be Scott U40 and have looked at many examples. I can’t for the life of me find one as crude looking as this one. It looks very irregular to me in comparison to the clean lines of the examples I am viewing. Any ideas as to why this one is so imperfect. The numbers are not centered, Thank you very much. All help greatly appreciated. God Bless!image
lines are crooked, etc.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • All the ones I am finding online looks more cookie cutter like this one for example. Wondering why mine is so different.

B8A16E15-A819-4A56-A9A6-635F08823D72
  • Since yours is cut way closer to the logo/colors etc... I would assume it was crudely hand cut at one time or another
  • Thank for your help. I appreciate it. I am more referring to the ink itself. Mine is very different from all examples I see online.
  • The UPSS catalog does say that "This die exists in various shades of green".
  • To answer your question, Roy, this stamped envelope has been forged, and I strongly suspect this is a forgery.
  • I didn’t realize the shade varies. I was more curious about why numbers, shaded area, and design look less than perfect.? I have around a bakers dozen of these. This one stands out as different. That means it’s a forgery?
  • For example, check out the 1’s in the one I possess. They look completely different. In the cleaner example I pulled of the internet everything is uniform.
  • My great grandpa started this collection. It was passed down to my Grandpa and then to me
  • That doesn't mean that your great grandfather and grandfather didn't have "weeds" in the collection. I agree with Ted that this looks like a crude forgery.

It may not even be the same bust. I can't tell for sure from the small image. How then? Take an albino from a cheap cut square and print/draw the design for an expensive cut square.
  • I appreciate all of you very much. Wow, well I tell you what, they weren’t very damn good at it. Holy Cow a kindergartener could have done better. What do y’all do with this sort of thing? Toss it?

I have another stamp I would like to ask a question about, but I haven’t been able to upload any photos on here since this morning. Not sure why.
  • No, don't toss it.Keep it for a forgery reference.
  • Good idea Sir