SCV of MNH/MH

In my store listings, I like to include the Scott Catalog Value. So when listing a MH stamp, is it common to give the MNH CV, and expect the buyer to understand that the stamp they would purchase has a lower value than the given Catalog Value?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't list catalog values. They are fleeting and meaningless, since no one is willing to pay the catalogue value.

Also, most dealers don't put the reference relating to the catalogue value, which catalogue and what is the catalogue published year. Since most dealers won't go through their listings every year to update the quoted catalog values for all of their items for sale, it is pointless to even look at the values listed by sellers. Which catalogue, and what year was the value taken from? who the heck knows? So, the value listed with the item is absolutely meaningless. Just state your selling price.
  • To answer your question, Kimberly, if you are going to provide cv's in your description, state which year, which catalogue, and, if you are listing a hinged stamp for which Scott lists only a MNH value, note that. So, for example, 2020 SCV $2.50 for MNH.
  • They are still fleeting and meaningless.
  • I post SCV in my titles as it helps me when pricing and I like to see them when buying as a quick reference; however many of my stamps listed don't have values shown as they were transferred from another seller. I sell about the same percentage of each, so it's not a big deal either way. I don't feel it necessary to state that the SCV listed is for a MNH when listing an Unused (I use this term rather than MH as this is the term used by Hipstamp; however I do get questions asking if the listing is for MNH stamp which seems dumb given HipStamp's nomenclature) stamp as anyone familiar with the publication knows the newer stamps are normally priced only as MNH.

I list the year of Scott in my description and not the title. If you choose to use the MNH disclosure, make sure you do it in the description and not title, as this would cause problems in properly classifying your stamp on the HipStamp site.
  • What good is the SCV, for example, stated on a listing when it says SCV 2017, when the catalogue year we will be in starting April is 2022? A value for SCV 2017 was actually published in 2016 and compiled in late 2015 or early 2016. The value is at least 5 years out of date. It's a waste of space, unless one goes through all listings every year to update the SCV and catalogue year.
  • I'm not here (and I believe Kimberley isn't either) to argue the merits of this or that. She asked a question; she deserves a straight answer. You are, of course free to list your stamps any way you desire.
  • This is why I love you guys and why I love this hobby. There are no rights or wrongs as we all collect, buy or sell, in our own way. I have thought many times that I was doing it the "right" way, only to hear someone else's opinion and realized, hey that's a better way and have changed my ways.

It all comes down to listing your own preference. Personally, I don't put the CV anywhere in my listings as the prices may change year to year and I don't have the most current catalogues.

That's my Penny for the moment ...
  • Well, ya know, as a customer I prefer that dealers provide a catalog value, and that they note MNH or not. Comparing the dealer's price to the CV gives me some insight about the dealer's pricing strategy and about how seriously they take their business. CVs are not a necessity for me, but the dealers I go back to again and again do provide them.

• Robust dialogue... I use SCV as a very rough guide, usually apply the 10% rule and move upward. Stamp Market Index is interesting, but just data. Also, sometimes when hunting for the big game trophies, I have noticed that SCV is useless...it's a combination of luck, seller's desire and good knowledge. When a seller lists an outrageous SCV, I invoke the Bozo Rule and just click away! ( please no offense to my revered childhood buddy, Bozo the Clown) and don't waste time there ( there are so many of those sadly). I often will seek and contact the seller about the reverse and gum condition, but as the buyer, it is on me to do background study before purchase. download-1
  • Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions! I appreciate hearing the differing viewpoints - that's how I learn!