Favorite Photos & Philatelic Eye Candy

edited September 4 in Chatter 0 LikesVote Down
Something I usually do with my stamps as I get them in is I try to take good photos and post them into my albums on another website. So I've got a ton of decent images stashed in my phone. With your permission, I'd like to start posting some here. Just one a day with some basic commentary. It would be wonderful if any of you would join in.

And away we go..

Comments

• 84 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited September 4 4 LikesVote Down
    Nova Scotia 11 from 1860. Just about the prettiest thing I have.
    20210627_141927
  • Interesting denomination. Anyone know what 8-1/2c covered?
  • October, 1860 to May, 1862, this was the packet rate to US, Newfoundland, Bermuda, and St. Miquelon. I cannot believe I actually found that information. As well, because of the short period, the 8.5c value is very hard to find on cover and mint and mint blocks are fairly common.
  • Nicely researched Phil - cool stamps
  • The Captain rules!
  • That block is a beaut Capt.
  • This is one of my favorites Phil.

C7 - Cover
  • Excellent covers, guys. Thanks for posting. Here is mine for the day. None of the QE2 Coronation Omnibus is outrageously valuable, but the design is the last grasp of decency and skill in stamps, in my opinion, and the colors on well struck copies are just so vibrant they quiver.

20210904_130339
  • The plane drawn on the cover George posted is a Bell P-39 Airacobra.
  • edited September 4 0 LikesVote Down
    That much is obvious. I'm fairly sure the date is Feb 1944. But who autographed it? Most of the P-39 variants were on the lists by 1943, so I don't think it's a test pilot.
  • While we are here in WW2, I have one favorite piece stuck away somewhere that always tugs at my heart. Just a simple Hawaiian postcard, period linen finish, view of the beach with Diamondhead behind. It went through the mails in early 1943, with just a simple message: "Goodbye to Hawaii."

Wow. Just an everyday serviceman telling his folks he was shipping out. Could not tell where or when or why. It rips my heart every time I think of it.

• Phil, can we know who it was or if he made it back? Being packed off to the South Pacific was hell for many of those guys. There are records we can search.
  • APO 368 was in Foggia, Italy in 1944. The signature is most likely the artist's, a soldier.
  • That's what really hurts. All that was on the card was his folks' address. Censorship would have prevented anything else, so he did not even try.
  • Miss those guys, our fathers, the greatest generation. They raised us in the 1950s and 60's, worked hard, respected their country and heritage, raised families and never talked about the horrors they saw in Europe or the South Pacific. Levels of personal sacrifice, real sacrifice rarely ever seen since. They built cities, sent men to the moon, beat communism and fascism and led , unified by a common goal. I do miss that generation greatly.
  • Did we actually beat communism?
  • I think we beat communism, but the Russians haven't really changed.
  • I think the Russians were never a majority communist country... Ask China how it's working out for them.
  • Yeah, there were P-39 squadrons flying in Italy in Feb. 1944.

Lots of them got Lent Leased to the Soviet Union, like this one
  • Its right around the corner...

NS7 20 1 SOLD
  • Doesn't feel like it here.....
  • edited September 5 3 LikesVote Down
    So don't know if anyone realized it on the cover I posted, but that IS Charles A Lindbergh's signature on the cover (along with the postmaster of the time). This particular cover was Lindbergh's first postal flight, an experimental flight from Springfield to Chicago in 1926. There were only 5 such covers on the flight.
  • I noticed....Very nice!
  • On the verge of chilly here...
  • I'll give you two bucks for a little chilly. Right at 7PM Central and 25 miles west of Houston. Duh...
    IMG_20210905_185219818_HDRsmall
  • edited September 6 0 LikesVote Down
    I saw that first up, Scott, I kept quiet because I envy you too much. I'm actually distantly related to Charles, something I was proud of as a child but I grew out of it.
    Years ago I had a small collection of Clipper mail, including a cover signed by Capt. Musik, but I sold them long ago, much to my regret.
  • My candy for tonight is Canada 145, from 1927. Back when we were mucking around with Molly Pitcher and other ugliness, Canada was doing stuff like this. Such a very handsome stamp...
    20210724_131857
  • Oh she's a beaut eh! I have a little Yooper in me, sorry. Beautiful stamp!